• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail-smtpd using 100% cpu

S

shalako

qmail-smtpd has been maxing out our server's cpu for hours, either as a single process or split into multiple processes adding up to 100% cpu usage. Other services are becoming non-responsive.

I've read that qmail-smtpd handles incoming mail. Does this mean we're just being blasted with a lot of mail? I've looked at /var/qmail/queue/local and the dirs aren't very big.

What can I do?

Originally posted by shalako
qmail-smtpd has been maxing out our server's cpu for hours, either as a single process or split into multiple processes adding up to 100% cpu usage. Other services are becoming non-responsive.

I've read that qmail-smtpd handles incoming mail. Does this mean we're just being blasted with a lot of mail? I've looked at /var/qmail/queue/local and the dirs aren't very big.

What can I do?
Hi...I'm having this problem too. I've seen several posts on it, but no solutions. So I'm trying to find out if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks,
G

I believe we were dealing with a denial-of-service attack on our hosting company. We migrated to a co-lo.

This isn't very useful information to go on, but it would suggest that either it is a DoS attack or a spammer is using one of your domains to use a "bounce" attack for spamming.

Steps that you can take are to a) investigate the source IP of the attacks and firewall them, and b) use strace and attach to the qmail-smtpd process to see what is happening <perhaps it is looping>

Good luck.

Back