1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

qmail-smtpd using 100% cpu

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by shalako, Apr 27, 2006.

1. shalako

shalako Guest

qmail-smtpd has been maxing out our server's cpu for hours, either as a single process or split into multiple processes adding up to 100% cpu usage. Other services are becoming non-responsive.

I've read that qmail-smtpd handles incoming mail. Does this mean we're just being blasted with a lot of mail? I've looked at /var/qmail/queue/local and the dirs aren't very big.

What can I do?

2. gnosis

gnosis Guest

Hi...I'm having this problem too. I've seen several posts on it, but no solutions. So I'm trying to find out if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks,
    G

3. shalako

shalako Guest

I believe we were dealing with a denial-of-service attack on our hosting company. We migrated to a co-lo.

4. wagnerch

wagnerch Guest

This isn't very useful information to go on, but it would suggest that either it is a DoS attack or a spammer is using one of your domains to use a "bounce" attack for spamming.

Steps that you can take are to a) investigate the source IP of the attacks and firewall them, and b) use strace and attach to the qmail-smtpd process to see what is happening <perhaps it is looping>

Good luck.

5. gnosis

gnosis Guest

Actually, in my case, it turned out not to be a DoS. I never thought it was, actually, because I could see that smtp connections were not coming in at any inflated rate.

The problem was solved with the help of Mirco - see http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40173