• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

quotacheck on upgrade

J

joelmoss

Why does the quotacheck have to be run everytime Plesk is upgraded. Depending on the amount of data and domains on the server, it can take ages for the upgrade to complete. And all the while, all services are down.

Does the quotacheck have to be run everytime? If so, why? and what exactly is it checking for?

Technically it shouldn't run everytime, but it can fix some things and based on its output the installer determines what steps to follow.

It's a shame it can't run after Plesk is fully upgraded in all other ways ... or at least after websrvmng has restored vhosts.

Originally posted by Cranky
It's a shame it can't run after Plesk is fully upgraded in all other ways ... or at least after websrvmng has restored vhosts.

that would definately be a much better idea!!

Long Wait

Why does quotacheck take so long during upgrades? I usually wait more than an hour for quotacheck to finish. It is the sole reason that I avoid upgrading Plesk.

Is there any way to make the installer not do a quotacheck, or make it take much less time?

Brandon Petersen

with me, i always have to go and fiddle with the numbers in each setup for each domain when an upgrade is done becasue when you do edquota user every hard quota is reset to 0 :(..

how do you really have to restore all the quota's ? when I exectue quotacheck -afm nothing really changes :(

I always just turn httpd back on manually while the upgrade is doing its quota check, just a simple /etc/init.d/httpd start at least that way you do not have a huge amount of down time to your sites, but scripting such as ASP or CMFX will not funtion untill the psa startall runs.

That would work!

Never thought about doing that, was always worried about doing anything to screw up the installation.

I'll try that next time I upgrade.

Brandon Petersen

Originally posted by Traged1
I always just turn httpd back on manually while the upgrade is doing its quota check, just a simple /etc/init.d/httpd start at least that way you do not have a huge amount of down time to your sites, but scripting such as ASP or CMFX will not funtion untill the psa startall runs.

That is useless! apache will start, but all domains will simply display the default redhat or fedora page. clients sites are not displayed.

It's because websrvmng hasn't regenerated the vhost files when it runs quotacheck, not because bind/apache aren't running.

Then edit the default apache test page to look like a "Sorry, temporarily undergoing maintainance, back up shortly " Page. At least its better then DNS errors.

There are no DNS errors - if there were any DNS issues you wouldn't make it to the apache test page. The point being made is that quotacheck appears to do nothing, and takes all sites offline whilst doing this, if it could be run after the vhosts are restored it would be much better.

Originally posted by Cranky
There are no DNS errors - if there were any DNS issues you wouldn't make it to the apache test page. The point being made is that quotacheck appears to do nothing, and takes all sites offline whilst doing this, if it could be run after the vhosts are restored it would be much better.

Exactly!! If the quotacheck could be run afterwards, then the upgrade time would take literally minutes, rather than over an hour - sometimes!

I'm sure there is a reason for where they placed quotacheck, but why? Why do they shutdown the servers, perform the quotacheck, update and start the server? Here is how the upgrade goes:

Server shutown < 2 minutes
Quotacheck > 1 hour
Package Installation < 2 minutes
Start Server < 2 minutes

Can Quotacheck be done before shutting down the servers? Can the installation prompt you whether or not you want to perform quotacheck?

It would be very beneficial.

Brandon Petersen

Back