• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Recompile Apache/PHP button...hmmmm

A

are_eye_see_kay

It seems like every time I update one of my boxes, I have to recompile Apache/PHP. That sucks.

Well that's just not *normal*. What is it you are updating, and is it from the CP's Server Updater module, or updating non-Plesk stuff manually?

Updated php, had to recompile, updated mysql.... it's a disturbing trend when you are hosting 500 or so domains per box.

I see your point, unfortunately Plesk would probably take the stance that "...those are non-Plesk essential software updates and are therefore outside of their concern/control..." I can just hear it now...

Abso-freakin-loutely. Still stinks though. They are updates that are essential to plesk too though, so the argument could go both ways. These should be handled as rollups or patches for plesk, to insure complete functionality and autonomy for plesk. I think the latest release should be more self contained, and be set up not to use any of the preinstalled core functionality of the OS. Plesk should really be built in its own container with all the non plesk components built into that directory. The security concerns could be addressed, but stability would be up to plesk at that point, and we wouldn't have to spend so much time redeveloping the software, just to suit our needs. Maybe it's a bad Idea, but that's what this forum is for..

Actually Plesk is at least partly self-contained. It runs it's own apache and some other things, which are not normally affected by updating.

you're right there, but what about the client? do they not deserve a more stable virtual server environment that's less susceptable to downtime due to minor mods. I think if we could create a server fine tuning/updating page within the admin inteface of plesk the whole thing would work better, and lighten their support load. Of course, who wants to stop making that much money. I would personally pay more up front if this kind of functionality was built in.

Here's a thought.
What if plesk had their own yum repo, so we couldn't break the product by misconfiguring the server. Now there's an Idea...

Don't get me wrong. I love plesk. It works good most of the time, but when it doesn't....

I agree entirely. I always think of clients first, balanced by server security. Some clients will always want to do something which may compromise the security or stability of a shared server, and I just don't allow some things.

Over the years, I have found that you cannot please everyone, and there are plenty of potential clients out there. The ones which do not want to abide by the limits I impose are free to go elsewhere (like I should give them all root access? no way! go away!)

Server stability is always a nice thing. Fine tuning param screens and many other admin screens of course, would be very nice, cut down on shell time doing manual edits.

Even if Plesk had their own yum repo, the only thing they could try to guarantee is that the contents should not break a box which has no customizations. For example, if you have software AA which has addon module BB, and BB will only work if CC is of a specific version, AA itself does not matter what version CC is. You yum update (from any repo) and CC gets updated to patch some security holes or whatever, now module BB will not work. But AA and CC themselves do work, just the addon CC has a problem. Who's fault is it?

Once you start customizing things, there is no way for anyone (not just Plesk) running a repo to be able to guarantee that nothing will ever break. There is no feasible way for them to account for the millions of ways an admin can change a server which will not cause a problem with a given update. (my view of reality)

How far off topic are we now? hehee

I understand the need for it to bend, but if plesk ran a repo for all things pertaining to plesk, we wouldn't need 4psa and ART to clean up the mess.(not that I'm thrilled with 4PSA right now...) Admins shouldn't have to customize boxes. The only thing an admin may have to add is some additional appvault items, and an occasional php tweak to accomodate higher end clients who have proven to know what they're doing. I don't know...this just seems like an obvious fix to alot of plesk problems. Throwing my hands up. Back to the shell.

Back