1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Restore 8.X -> 9.2.2 does not work

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by Michael Hess, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. Michael Hess

    Michael Hess Guest

    0
     
    Hi,

    I hope someone can help me out, because I have reached a major blocker. Last week my hoster crashed my vServer, and lost it completely during the process. I don't know what they did, but all I have left now is the backup from my system. It is a domain backup from the Plesk 8.x (i think it was 8.2) installation. The new systems all run Plesk 9.2.2.

    So, I did what I was told (and was also was written here numeroius times):

    - copy the backup to the new system
    - do the pre9-convert step, resulting in the backup being converted and copied to /var/lib/psa/dumps

    Everything good so far. Now the trouble starts. I still cannot restore the backup. I have created a domain with the same name on the new system and in the Web GUI I can see the backup. Nevertheless Plesk does not accept it. The Web GUI has a comment

    No problem, I thought - lets just jump to the console. But no luck there either. Pleskrestore gives me just this:

    Unfortunately, that is really ALL I get from the restore command. :-( Neither -debug nor -verbose make it output anything else. The backup information can be viewed with --info though. I have two consecutive backups from the old system (1 day apart from each other), but both produce the same error.

    What can I do now? Is there any way to get more information on what this mysterious "critical error" might be? How can I procede? What does this error really mean? The conversion does not give any errors but still the result has the wrong format? Somethings really odd here.

    Please help!
     
  2. Andrey Kucherov

    Andrey Kucherov Guest

    0
     
  3. Nataliya Zagr

    Nataliya Zagr Regular Pleskian

    21
    87%
    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello Michael,

    Please, check the following article. There it is described how to validate the backup file:

    http://kb.odin.com/en/6080

    Thank you
     
  4. igors

    igors Basic Pleskian

    20
    37%
    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    Try verifying backup xml file as described in http://kb.odin.com/en/6080 - maybe there are some corrupted strings in it.

    Also you might need to remove backup signature form backup xml file as described in http://kb.odin.com/en/6081 since backup was created on another server and is signed with this server's signature.
     
  5. Michael Hess

    Michael Hess Guest

    0
     
    I already tried xmllint, but without the XSD it was not of much help. I will give it another shot tonight.

    On a sidenote to the people from Parallels: I actually did search for the error string, but I did not find the linked KB article. Maybe I only searched for the errors from the cli tool and not the gui text. I am not sure about that. Anyway, I would suggest, that you add some more keywords, so that the article can be found more easily.

    Thank you everybody for you support!
     
Loading...