• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restore 8.X -> 9.2.2 does not work

M

Michael Hess

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out, because I have reached a major blocker. Last week my hoster crashed my vServer, and lost it completely during the process. I don't know what they did, but all I have left now is the backup from my system. It is a domain backup from the Plesk 8.x (i think it was 8.2) installation. The new systems all run Plesk 9.2.2.

So, I did what I was told (and was also was written here numeroius times):

- copy the backup to the new system
- do the pre9-convert step, resulting in the backup being converted and copied to /var/lib/psa/dumps

Everything good so far. Now the trouble starts. I still cannot restore the backup. I have created a domain with the same name on the new system and in the Web GUI I can see the backup. Nevertheless Plesk does not accept it. The Web GUI has a comment

"This file is not a valid backup file.".

No problem, I thought - lets just jump to the console. But no luck there either. Pleskrestore gives me just this:

xxxxxxxx:/usr/local/psa/bin # ./pleskrestore --restore /var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/domain.tld/converted_domain.tld_info_0908311857.xml -level domains -debug

Backup file has wrong format
Dump has critical errors.

Unfortunately, that is really ALL I get from the restore command. :-( Neither -debug nor -verbose make it output anything else. The backup information can be viewed with --info though. I have two consecutive backups from the old system (1 day apart from each other), but both produce the same error.

What can I do now? Is there any way to get more information on what this mysterious "critical error" might be? How can I procede? What does this error really mean? The conversion does not give any errors but still the result has the wrong format? Somethings really odd here.

Please help!

I already tried xmllint, but without the XSD it was not of much help. I will give it another shot tonight.

On a sidenote to the people from Parallels: I actually did search for the error string, but I did not find the linked KB article. Maybe I only searched for the errors from the cli tool and not the gui text. I am not sure about that. Anyway, I would suggest, that you add some more keywords, so that the article can be found more easily.

Thank you everybody for you support!

Back