• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restore Woes

M

MartynT

Dear readers/support,

I have managed to restore a backed up system so that the web site displays correctly and the webmail service (thankfully) works too.

Currently I am having two issues that I cannot find a solution for:

1. I have a private directory with a list of about 200 users who can access this with individual passwords. It appears that this is working but looking at Plesk Panel the directory does not list those people who are registered (it did previously). Does anyone know how I can re-build the list so I can see those names?

2. Cannot get mailman to work at all - does not appear in Plesk or Virtuozzo. I have installed mailman from the command line (Ubuntu 6.06/Dapper) and it runs after I have created a list called 'mailman'. In Plesk it still appears 'greyed out' when you go to the mail system and mail list.

Thanks for any advice on either of these subjects.

Martyn Thompson

Did you tried to rebuild web and mail settings with 'websvmng -v -a' and 'mchk --with-spam' ?

Thanks for the reply IgorG,

I used the Plesk restore panel applet to perform the restore process. It appeared to work well though did report some warnings (I seem to recall it was a different version of Plesk (9.2 v 9.0).

I have found the PSA MySQL database but am reluctant to start adding/changing settings in there without any concrete evidence it will help and not hinder my situation.

To answer your question - I didn't invoke those commands from the command line but I am unsure of what Plesk calls from the GUI.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Further to my previous comment. I have found table 'pd_user' in the psa MySQL database which does reflect the changes on the Plesk panel when I manually add dummy data (names) to it.
The strange thing is - the website appears to work correctly with the previous user names and passwords all allowing the correct people in to the protected directories (named 'secure' on my system). They just don't appear in either the pd_users table OR on the Plesk panel.
Does this help? How can I make it regenerate this list so it appears in Plesk for me?

Thanks, as always,

Martyn.

Maybe utilities /usr/local/psa/bin/protdir and /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/pdmng with options like --update-user will help you to rebuild list?

Hello again IgorG,

Thanks for the messages and ideas. I have tried both suggestions from the command line with the options suggested and although they appear to run correctly with a success message at the end, the listing still fails to appears in the Plesk Panel or the MySQL psa database.

I have looked at all the settings from the backup file (a tape archive) but cannot see anywhere where the database rebuild information is.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Martyn.

IgorG,

I have found a file which I believe must be supplying the credentials information to allow current users to log in - even though they are not appearing in the Plesk Panel or the psa database.
It is in the domains directory named 'pd' and there are three files:
d..cgi-bin@secure (contains user names and encrypted passwords with a ?? salt)
d..httpsdocs@secure (contains user names and encrypted passwords with a ?? salt)

d..secure

This final file contains ONLY the dummy data I added through the Plesk Panel.

Do you think migrating the information from the one of the other two files will allow the Plesk Panel to show the user names again?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Back