• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

root email forward / qmail

J

jagsinc

Does anyone know how to create a email forward for root email?

Cranky @Transnexis.com or Scott @atomicrocketturtle.com can u help me here? Thx.

I got reading roots's mail working yesterday by

look in /etc/hosts for the domain name alongside the IP address of your machine.

For example mine is p123456789.pureserver.info
then add this line to /var/qmail/control/locals on the line beneath localhost. The /var/qmail/control/locals file controls which hosts qmail will treat as "local" and therefor accept mail from.

So after editing my /var/qmail/control/locals file will look like this:
Code:
localhost
p123456789.pureserver.info
Next in the plesk Admin interface go to
Server Administration -> Administrator information -> E-mail. this is the mail that will then get all roots mail.

It worked for me anyway. Please post back how it turns out.

I just want a forward email address for root emails...

Anyone have any suggestions?

see the above entry for a how to.

This works for me. Though I'd apprciate others letting me know if it works for them (or a better alternative).

hi whitecurve

hi whitecurve

are you saying put your server name below the line with localhost in /var/qmail/control/locals

this will then send root emails to another email you specify in Server Admin >> Email

Thx.

hello,
I tried this above and it did not work for me. I've been searching for this answer for some time to no avail.

Love to hear some other suggestions.

Wally

It worked great.

This must be needed if server name is not in DNS.

Thanks for the FYI whitecurve.

Originally posted by networkthinking
hello,
I tried this above and it did not work for me. I've been searching for this answer for some time to no avail.

Love to hear some other suggestions.

Wally

Did you edit the file /var/qmail/control/locals?

contents should be on 2 seperate lines:

# more /var/qmail/control/locals
localhost
your.server.name
#

thats exactly right jagsinc.

if your machines hostname is not in /var/qmail/control/locals, qmail will treat mail addressed to either the machines IP address or the machines hostname as unknown mail that should not have been delivered to that machine and bounce it. This bouncing will probably be back to itself causeing the dreaded Triple-bounce problem.

Thanks guys. I had this same problem after changing my server hostname via the plesk interface.

Editing the /var/qmail/control/locals as described fixed the problem for me.

Cheers,
EF

Another way is to create a virtual host for the servername and just setup a forward in the mail preferences settings ( Domain -> Mail -> Preferences -> Forward to adress: - input your mail adress here) - this works great on our systems.

Back