• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Rootkit Hunter (rkhunter) - How do I update?

O

open4biz

Is there a way to update Rootkit Hunter? My Plesk Control Panel v8.2.1 has RKHunter v1.2.8 and there's a v1.3.0 out now. What the best / quickest / easiest way to update it?

I have Fedora Core 6 installed with all the latest updates yum'ed in. I have slight Linux experience. So being verbose might help.

Thank you in advance.

http://kb.swsoft.com/en/1323

After running Plesk security check in the watchdog module I see a message
similar to the following: "Your system contains some unknown version
numbers. Please run Rootkit Hunter with the --update parameter or fill in the contact form (www.rootkit.nl)"

CAUSE:

Rootkit Hunter found new packages versions which are not listed in it's database.

RESOLUTION:

Rootkit Hunter usually updates the database automatically. You can force update with following command:

$PRODUCT_ROOT_D/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter --configfile
$PRODUCT_ROOT_D/etc/modules/watchdog/rkhunter.conf --update

to get $PRODUCT_ROOT_D
Code:
grep 'PRODUCT_ROOT_D' /etc/psa/psa.conf

$PRODUCT_ROOT_D/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter --configfile

My Product_Root_D is: /usr/local/psa

I tried that and it didn't work:

$/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter --configfile
-bash: $/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter: No such file or directory

I checked that folder and rkhunter is not in it. Am I doing something wrong?

That is odd, I have it in mine....

try
Code:
locate rkhunter | less

and see if you can find it - you may have to do some file copies or sym links

For example, I had to sym link
/usr/local/etc/rkhunter.conf to /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/rkhunter.conf

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter
/usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/rkhunter.conf
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/de_DE.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/es_ES.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/fr_FR.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/it_IT.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/ja_JP.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/zh_CN.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/share/modules/watchdog/locale/zh_TW.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/rkhunter.mo
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/docs
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/tmp
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/backdoorports.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/defaulthashes.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/md5blacklist.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/mirrors.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/os.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/programs_bad.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/programs_good.dat
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/docs/CHANGELOG
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/docs/README
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/docs/WISHLIST
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/check_modules.pl
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/check_port.pl
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/check_update.sh
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/filehashmd5.pl
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/filehashsha1.pl
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/scripts/showfiles.pl
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/tmp/group
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/tmp/passwd
/var/log/rkhunter.log

Here's the info from that. What should I do next?

your locate shows you have the rkhunter file
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter

I feel like I'm getting closer. I copied the rkhunter.conf /usr/local/etc/

Here's the latest of what I typed and the result:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter --configfile
Don't you want to check your system?
Please submit a parameter like --checkall or --cronjob

I tried the following next and here's the result:

/usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/rkhunter.conf --update
-bash: /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/rkhunter.conf: Permission denied

I'm logged in as root... how can permission be denied?!?

I was able to update the database for 1.2.8 after taking a break and using a fresh brain. But... still can't figure out how to update to v1.3.0.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
I should have a new version out in my archive today.

I looked for it Mr. Turtle... no luck. Has it been updated because I've hit a brick wall. I can't figure out how to install v1.3.0 to the same watchdog directory so the Plesk control panel may take advantage of it.

Got sidetracked on some other things and havent finished it yet. I'll see if I can get it out today.

In response to the other parts of this thread --update just updates the signature files used by rkhunter, it doesn't update rkhunter itself.

Well, thank you for your work.

How do you like Joomla vs Mambo vs Drupal?

I would like to use drupal, but the theme system is unruly and I keep getting stuck while developing for it. How is the templeting system for Joomla? If it's easier... I'll switch over posthaste.

Ive got it in the [atomic-testing] channel now. Its a pretty big change and I haven't worked all my tweaks into it yet.

I use Joomla myself. Its kind of a pain in the *** to get started with. Once you're going its pretty easy though. Just a steep learning curve. The look and feel is all done with CSS. Same thing with Mambo. Haven't worked with Drupal.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
Ive got it in the [atomic-testing] channel now. Its a pretty big change and I haven't worked all my tweaks into it yet.

Should I wait? I guess I don't know what that means to what I'm trying to accomplish. :confused:

I use Joomla myself. Its kind of a pain in the *** to get started with. Once you're going its pretty easy though. Just a steep learning curve. The look and feel is all done with CSS. Same thing with Mambo. Haven't worked with Drupal.

Yes, I know. I've been on your website a couple times. I even clicked a few of the adsense items to get some $$$ to you for your help. :O)

Drupal is robust and a little daunting. The templates can be made from CSS, PHP/CSS and PHP/javascript/CSS combos. I only want to deal with CSS. The modules are pretty straightforward, though.

Have you seen this?

http://www.joomlatemplatekit.com/ar...emplate-kit-the-joomla-template-kit-se-1.html

Looks promising... a little pricey though. Seems more like a $19-49 product as it does just one thing... hopefully well.

I could use the extra eyes on the package. I rely pretty heavily on the community to test out these releases, and give me feedback.

Roger. I'll be your test monkey. If I can get it...

Most semi-intelligent MS-knowledgebased individuals can. At least I remember DOS and the command line. That's been my saving grace with *nix.

Off to go give it a shot...

Well... it installed and it's working from SSH... but I don't know how to link Plesk v.8.2.1 to it so that is what runs from Plesks control panel.

Any ideas?

(And thank you for package)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh really? Did you forgot who you're corresponding with?!? That's totally out of my reach if I have to 'hack it.' lol

Thanks anyway.

Mr Hosting Guy: the security scan in plesk still says, 'v1.2.8. They must be installed in different directories then. When I whereis, I get:

rkhunter: /usr/bin/rkhunter /etc/rkhunter.conf /usr/lib/rkhunter /usr/local/etc/rkhunter.conf /usr/share/man/man8/rkhunter.8.gz

Is there a way to tie to Plesk?

Back