• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Scheduled Database backups

A

ahardman

Is it possible for users to schedule database backups through the Plesk Panel? I didn't see an option to do this within the "Backup Manager", or within the database administration portal. Or are databases included in the Scheduled backup if you choose to backup "Domain configuration and content"

I am wondering the same.. are databases included into server-wide backup or not.. I have mixed feelings.. when I open a backup file it appears they are.. can someone verify?

Hello,

Automatic dumps consist of two types:

1) daily dumps which are made every night together with `statistics` utility run, dump files have names like mysql.daily.dump.1.gz

2) pre-upgrade dumps which are made during Plesk package update run, that are named like mysql.preupgrade.dump.gz.1

If you wish to perform the database backup manually, it can be done with the command like below:
# mysqldump -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` DATABASE_NAME > FILE_NAME.sql

Automatical Plesk database dumps are stored in the folder defined by DUMP_D variable value in /etc/psa/psa.conf file.

You said: "1) daily dumps which are made every night together with `statistics` utility run, dump files have names like mysql.daily.dump.1.gz"

I have a few questions on this.

1) How does the `statistics` utility run come into play when backing up the site?

2) Does this also backup MSSQL databases?

3) My customer is using the backup to remote repository. (A ftp site at his business.) And wants to make sure that his site, his plesk configuration, and his databases( he uses both mysql and mssql) are included in the copy. Does the above solution fulfill his requirements?

If he is using the control panel to send his backup to a remote ftp site, I would suggest that you have him try and open up one of the backups. I have NEVER been able to get this function to work properly and send a full backup to a remote ftp site. It send *most* of the file and then crashes and you are left with an incomplete zip that fails when you try and open the file.

Consequently, the actual backup is left up on the server and continually takes up server space and eventually causes disk full issues.

However, to answer at least part of your question, yes, this backup is supposed to contain an MSSQL backup of any databases defined for the hosting account.

Nataliya Zagr, thanks for your response...

I am now wondering like ahardman; are all the customers configured services for the account get included in the backup? I have a feeling your respone is related to the linux platform, does Windows do the same? I makes me wonder only because there is a separate option in the backup section for a domain to do Database only backups.. this handy, but is it only there because the db's are not in the main backup or is it just an extra backup tool.

Consequently, the actual backup is left up on the server and continually takes up server space and eventually causes disk full issues.

As much as this is a pain, it actually can be very good idea.. at least the file isn't just deleted if a backup fails.. maybe in future releases .. have some extra backup options in the global backup settings option page to let Admins choose what they want to do with failed backups.. and I must add.. occasionally our's have failed. Maybe FTP with a retry option needs to be built-in? or a verify function.. because FTP can be a bit un-relyable at times.. if connection at remote end is not the best? And the Windows platform tends to be the failing backup.. the linux servers tend to always backup remotely fine?

Anyways .. be good to hear your response on a few of these points.

Back