• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Secondary DNS

E

ebiven

I've searched but I'm not finding much on how people are doing secondary DNS. Are you guys using a service, setting up your own secondary box, or are you running a second copy of BIND on a different IP? I'd prefer to put the secondary DNS on another box but I do *not* want to have to make any manual changes on it when domains are added. Any suggestions to get me started?

Question abouto that, are all those instructions to be done on both servers? I'm a bit confused there.

ART's version of Secondary DNS outlines, in it's setup procedures, the exactly configuration you'll need to setup.

Step 1) add the following line to /etc/named.conf on both servers: --both

Step 2) install the following 2 scripts into /var/named/run-root/etc
gen-secondaries.sh This generates the secondaries.include file for your secondary server(s) -- goes on 1st box
xfer-config.sh This downloads the secondaries.include from the master server(s). -- goes on 2nd box

Step 3) create a directory /var/named/run-root/var/slave owned by the named user. -- both

Step 4) Create 3 root cron jobs to generate configs, transfer files, and restart named . -- both

Step 5) add a global allow rule into the PSA database on each server for each secondary server, as root: -- both

Step 6) In the PSA control panel, log in as admin, goto Server->DNS->Add NS records for each secondary server -- 1st (master)

I did it this way:

Step 1: 2nd box
Step 2) gen-secondaries.sh This generates the secondaries.include file for your secondary server(s) -- 1st box
xfer-config.sh This downloads the secondaries.include from the master server(s). -- goes on 2nd box
Step 3) 2nd box
Step 4) Cronjob to generate file on 1st box, and jobs to retrieve data from master and restart bind on 2nd box.
Step 5) 1st box
Step 6) 1st box

Since the primary is where all changes take place, I don't see the poing on having to pull data from the secondary server. This way I've done it is working fine.

Back