• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

server migration

S

shoemaker

i keep geting this error when trying to connect using the 8.01 control panel
Migration from host 2xx.2xx.xx.xx failed
Cannot send scout to the remote host

Unable to start SSH session: Timeout waiting for banner

but i can putty into the machine and the one time it did work it said wrong directory or something like that

i am trying to migrate 7.04 control panel to 8.01 plesk support said the migration manager would take care of this but not

so first why cant i connect and
second whats the propper dir structure for migrating the complete server

tia

don`t any swsoft reps read these forums
i really need an answer i need to transfer all this data this weekend i work out of town and am only home on the weekends

please a response:(

I dont think SWsoft really patrols these forums.

may be obvious - but:
1. make sure ssh is on port 22.
2. make sure firewall (iptables) is opened to the Plesk box doing the migration.
3. make sure you can log on with putty using the exact credentials that you supplied to plesk (i.e., root/password ). (you will need superuser or equivalent access to migrate)

If you log in as root, are you getting a standard bash prompt? If you are getting errors or unexpected behavior when logging in thru ssh, then it doesnt sound like the issue is with Plesk migration manager.

1> make sure firewall (iptables) is opened to the Plesk box doing the migration.
i cant find anything in 8.01 for iptables
i dont think i have any control over this as godaddy is the virt server host

2>make sure ssh is on port 22
i am using the migration manager in plesk i cant choose what port is used i would asume its 22

3>make sure you can log on with putty using the exact credentials that you supplied to plesk (i.e., root/password ). (you will need superuser or equivalent access to migrate)

i can logon using putty with no issues

4>i get no errors with putty only the migration manager in plesk 8.01

tia and thanx for answering

dont know alot about godaddy's virtual servers, but you will definately need to have ssh access opened on the old box to allow access from the new box..

if the new box's ip address is 1.2.3.4
then try this iptables statement on the old box to open the firewall

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -s 1.2.3.4 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

you can also see what the current status of iptables config is by typing:

Code:
iptables -nL

PS. also, ssh into the new box as root, and then try doing a command line ssh from the new box to the old box (this will test the connection there)

Code:
ssh 1.2.3.4

also, ssh by default is 22/tcp. Plesk migration manager does not give you the option to specify a different port than 22.

A good security trick (along with several other things) is to move ssh onto a different port... Anybody with port 22 open to the world will notice that port 22 gets hammered by scans and brute force probes all day long. I move mine to a diff port, and it cuts down on about 90% of the scanning there.

Back