• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Service Unavailable again and again and again and again and again

Laurence@

Regular Pleskian
We have 4 Plesk Windows 7.02 servers - they don't have loads of domains. "Service Unavailable" is our most common ticket and we see it about 5-10 DAILY. We know to fix it but then it happens again a few days or a week later to the same domains.

Losing clients due to this. (and don't blame them either) :(

The problem is that the Applocation Pool for certain domain gets corrupt and the domain fails in IIS and loading it in a browser just gives us "Service Unavailable". My techs told me there is an option in IIS to disable the application pool if there are a certain number of worker process failures within a specified period. We have been increasing these limits, but this does not seem to solve the issue. Now we have disabled this option so that the application pool would not go down and the sites will be up. Hopefully this fixes it once and for all.

but isn't it an IIS issue then, rather than plesk??

(hmm does plesk for windows have support for running apache insetead?)

Originally posted by Laurence
The problem is that the Applocation Pool for certain domain gets corrupt and the domain fails in IIS and loading it in a browser just gives us "Service Unavailable". My techs told me there is an option in IIS to disable the application pool if there are a certain number of worker process failures within a specified period. We have been increasing these limits, but this does not seem to solve the issue. Now we have disabled this option so that the application pool would not go down and the sites will be up. Hopefully this fixes it once and for all.
How did you disable the option so the application pool wont go down. We have a site that goes down everytime somebody tries to bring it up in a browser.

The problems causing pools to stop will most likely be the PHP issues.

Set the pools to recycle every 10 minutes, with timeouts of 10 minutes and this seems to have sorted most of our issues.

Ok i tried the what is it said in Plesk Faq but it does not help my domain is still gives Service Unavailable error. Also I deleted the the only php file in it. I does not help too. I restatted service from IIS and no help.:(

Set the pools to recycle every 10 minutes, with timeouts of 10 minutes and this seems to have sorted most of our issues.

where is it exactly ?

I thought I would share this since it might be related. I doubt it is but it might be helpful to someone else in this thread.

There is an odd bug somewhere (in Windows or Plesk ) that I've not really pinned down yet that causes the password for the user the application pool runs under to be set incorrectly. This causes the pool to bomb out the first time it gets a hit and tries to authenticate IUSR_domanname.

You may be experiencing something similar. The way I fixed it was to go in and manually set a password for the "IUSR_domainname" for that particular domain and then manually reconfigured the password with IIS and in the app pool authentication tab.

I haven't seen this often but the rare times it happened to me (three times out of 300+ domains) that always fixed it.

Originally posted by Laurence
We have 4 Plesk Windows 7.02 servers - they don't have loads of domains. "Service Unavailable" is our most common ticket and we see it about 5-10 DAILY. We know to fix it but then it happens again a few days or a week later to the same domains.

Losing clients due to this. (and don't blame them either) :(

It's a permissions issue with IIS Worker Threads.

Open the server's local security policy (start>run>secpol.msc), expand local polices and browse to User Rights assignment. Once in User Rights Assignment, open up the “Log on as Service“ right. Any account or group in this list will be able to logon as a service. So, click Add User or Group, and then type in/browse for the app pool's service account. Once the right is granted, you will need to reboot this server.

Adding the App Pool identity to the IIS_WPG group may also fix problem as well as re-registering the .NET framework with Windows(see this microsft article to repair ,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830646 )

Hope that helps

Hi Laurence,

if youre using Plesk 7 in Windows 2003 OS, add "NETWORK SERVICE" account & Group IIS_WPG under security tab folder where ISAPI_REDIRECT DLL of plesk resides.

Also you can check Inside ISS Manager whether you have given Execute Permisson for "Scripts" under HOME DIRECTORY tab of "Web sites".

I had similar kind of problem! now got rectified.

Thanks

service unavailable

Why do we need the application pool...

2 out of our 40 websites go service unavailable everyday...

We just restart plesk control panel when it goes down and everything returns to normal...

Can we just "REMOVE" the application pool in IIS... is that ok? no effect on other sites? thanks

NO, don't remove that added security feature in windows 2003:

it seems those 2 websites are performing some erratic / misbehaviour due to some programatic flaw in the code.

if same 2 websites are consistently failing then check the access rights under that domainname.com folders.

"pooling basically isolates the websites that is one may not interfere with other" - if website1 is going to create problem due to some misbehaviour /erratic functionality then that alone is going to be down. There is a chance that if you diable this feature for all websites then your ISS itself may go down stoping all.

application pool

i did not removed it yet but instead i set the application pool to "default"... the site did not go down today... the site uses ms access and sometimes it just goes access error cause too many users...we are going to migrate it to MySQL 4.1.8 next week

thanks for the info.. that helped me... looking forward to Plesk 7.0.4 :)

Could youexplain that how did you do that ?

Because i have the same problem

Now the site goes down not every day but every other day...hehehe... we´ll try to change msaccess to mysql then i´ll post the result here

I opted to a manual solution. When this was happening to my sites, (and it was happening practically randomly and not just 2 or 3 sites), I created a service which every 5 minutes enumerated the Application Pools, and if it finds one disabled, it will enable it.

Since then no client ever complained about his site displaying Service Unavailable.

If more people are interested I will post the application somewhere.

yeah right... just post the link...
but i don´t think i will use that in our servers.

There is an option in IIS to recycle the application pool every 5 minutes or to your desired time.

Just open IIS then look for APPLICATION POOL...
Right click and set it up... it´s very intuitive...hehehe

Our problems with application pool is now FIXED! :)

Back