• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Should I Upgrade?

C

corman420

I'm currently running Plesk 8.3.0 on CentOS4.

I have a customized my.cnf and php.ini file (an an up-to-date php/mysql installation).

I also have Xcache installed.

My question is, should I update? Or will I face issues with a broken xcache, and will my configuration files for PHP and MySQL get overwritten (obviuously I will back them up)?

I see some users are having email issues, will I?

Also, how should I update PlesK? Via the control panel? Or run a command?

Thanks !

I'm currently running Plesk 8.3.0 on CentOS4.

There are a couple of known vulnerabilities in Plesk 8.3's Horde.

I have a customized my.cnf and php.ini file (an an up-to-date php/mysql installation).

I also have Xcache installed.

My question is, should I update? Or will I face issues with a broken xcache, and will my configuration files for PHP and MySQL get overwritten (obviuously I will back them up)?

Plesk upgrades don't overwrite your PHP and MySQL configuration files.

I see some users are having email issues, will I?

We don't have any issues.

Also, how should I update PlesK? Via the control panel? Or run a command?

There are 3 ways:

1. Use the CLI autoinstaller
2. Use the GUI Plesk Updater
3. Use yum if you run RHEL/CentOS/Fedora (Atomic Rocket Turtle has a yum repository)

I like 1 and 3 over 2, because 1 and 3 show you what's going on while the upgrade is running.

Thank-you very much. Great response.

I do use yum, can I update just doing a "yum update" or "yum update plesk" ?

Thanks again.

My email system is very important, which is why I ask if there are known email issues. Thanks for your response.

By default you won't have a yum repository configured that contains the Plesk packages, so yum won't pick up any Plesk updates by default. (Still, running 'yum update' regularly is a good idea, as it does update the packages from your OS vendor, e.g. apache, bind and the kernel.)

Unless you are familiar with managing yum repositories I suggest to just run /usr/local/psa/bin/autoinstaller and follow the steps there to upgrade to Plesk 8.4.

can I update just doing a "yum update" or "yum update plesk" ?
i have the some question

No, you can't do a yum update/yum update plesk.

yum update will update your installed operating system applications. That's a good thing to do, but won't do anything regarding Plesk and you do need to know a little about what you are doing when you do so.

Yum knows where to look for updates in a file called /etc/yum.conf (or in files in a directory called /etc/yum.repos.d or something similar).

If you want to be able to update plesk using yum you need to configure these files to correctly point to an online repository that holds plesk updates.

The only one that I'm aware of is Scott's, which can be found at www.atomicrocketturtle.com
You'll find instructions on how to enable his yum repo and plesk repo automatically on that site.

Please be aware that if you enable to normal ART repo from that site you may get more than you bargained for, for example updated PHP versions. Although this again is a good thing it may not be what you want. Be careful.

Faris.

Thanks for the good replies. I still haven't updated, so I think I'm going to do it tonight.

Ims till running 8.3, and the latest I bleive is 8.6. I originally used this to setup yum:
wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic.sh |sh

So will that have plesk already in the conf file for yum? If so, then I will just run yum update. I already ahve PHP5 and the lastest MySQL installed, so I shouldn't see any updates for those...

So, just to confirm, running yum update on CentOS4, shouldn't break anything? What about my Xcache - will that get broken at all do you think?

Thanks.

What should I do for my next upgrade?

1. Yes it is worth upgrading to DDR2, that means you will need to get a socket AM2 motherboard and cpu if you go with AMD. It is worth it because DDR2 is faster and offers a high performance gain over DDR.

2. The video card is good and the processor is ok for AMD.

3. Yes the prices are good, newegg has some of the best deals.

4. It depends if you want SLI or not (two graphics cards in one machine. ASUS makes some of the highest quality motherboards. Gigabyte and MSI are also good.

5. Instead of the AMD chip i would get the intel Core 2 Duo E6300 cpu. It is the same price but is much more powerful. Corsair XMS memory and OCZ are the two quality memory manufacturers. If you get DDR make sure that the first # in the latency isn't greater than 2. If you get DDR2 make sure that it isn't greater than 4. Read the reviews on newegg before you buy, they are very helpful in determining which products are likely to fail or be DOA and which ones will work great.

6. As long as you are upgrading the video card, cpu, and motherboard i would make it a second computer, as long as you have the money, time, and energy to put it together.

Back