• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Single info@ mail address not working

Flachzange

Basic Pleskian
Dear Parallels Team and Users,

after updating to 9.3.0 I noticed a very serious problem with a single mail address / domain. There was only the one info@domain address for this domain. (but now I added a second address to see if the problem occurs also for the second mail address.)

What actually happens:

I get the following error when sending mails to this address:
Jan 24 12:48:11 host qmail: 1264333691.325948 delivery 208: failure: Sorry._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_in_my_control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/

But now it becomes strange: After disabling and enabling email service on this domain, everything works fine again. BUT on the next day, the problem happens again. (I assume that there is some kind of cronjob running, which changes the settings).

Does anybody has an idea what the reason for this problem this.

Regards,
Christoph

P.S. Removing and re-creation of this account is currently not option

Hi Igor,

thanks for your quick reply. I forgot to mention that I already did a mchk --with-spam, but without success. As I said in my first post, I have now created a second mail account on this domain and this one is (as expected) also not working. Today I simply restarted qmail after I made sure that the mail delivery is not working again, and it worked afterwards!

I also checked all the files in /var/qmail/control to make sure that this domain is listed in these files.

So how can it be that a simple restart of qmail can solve this problem, which occurs every day anew?

Regards,
Christoph

I can suggest you also try to switch to Postfix MTA and to Qmail back. If it is really sporadically issue I think that only logs monitoring and deep investigation only can help with finding a reason of this strange behaviour.

Hi Igor,

I still have the problem and I am a bit scared of changing to postfix MTA and back.

Regarding the points in the KB article:

- domain really does not exist in Plesk, but domain's DNS points to your server as domain's MX,
Domain does obviously exists

- domain exists but domain.com > Mail > Disable option was chosen in the Plesk interface,
Mail is enabled

- domain exists and domain was added to above files but qmail failed to restart after it (qmail reads these files during start only),
Indeed, it works after restarting qmail, but why does this change over night

- domain exists but domain was not added to the above files because of some failure during domain creation or the files were modified manually.
Domain is listed in those files

Lately I figured out that the status change (email not working anymore) does happen in the night between 3am and 7am. I went through my logs several times, but I could not see any interesting behavior.

I also re-created the mail account in the meanwhile, but without success. (This is actually consequently, as a new created test account didn't worked neither.

So id someone has idea beside switching to Postfix and back, I would be really happy.

Regards,
Christoph

I got some news on this topic:

In the last days and week I have successively disabled any services which are active in the night between 3am and 7am.

And this morning the problem mail domain worked perfectly without restarting qmail after I had disabled the BackupManager respectively the nightly backup job yesterday.

So, can anybody explain why the Backup Manager interfers with mailing issues?

Regards,
Christoph

Update:

When I uncheck the box "suspend domains until backup task is completed" everything is fine after backup, but with this option enabled, the mail service on a single domain does not work after the backup task. (server wide backup)

Should be definitely fixed by Parallels!!

Regards,
Christoph

Last edited:
Back