• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SmarterMail features supported ??

M

mikaelkj

I don't understand some of the features of smartermail are lacking support... E.g in "Mail > preferences" for a domain it is only possible to select "Catch to address:" and when that is selected it is not possible to disable it again. Also why is "Redirect to IP" and "Discard" not supported - both are supported in SmarterMail?

Hello mikaelkj,

Thank you for the report.
Could you explain why would you need these features?
Could you describe a couple of scenarios for their use?

Well redirect to IP is not necessary - but Plesk supports it on other mail server so why not on SmarterMail - which you actually endorse by co-selling it....

Also you use radio buttons in the interface so when a new domain is created none of the three options are selected (and two are greyed out) the you can select to have a catch all address, but when this is done it isn't possible to deselect catch-all because there are no other available radion buttons.......

Could you explain why would you need these features?
Could you describe a couple of scenarios for their use?

Discard will definitely help so that there are no bounces to spam mails which will only result in a double bounce. We will prefer to discard these.

We are also using smartermail and see this option greyed.
Though on the Linux version this is supported and enabled.

Regards,
Parag.

Gentlemen,

SmarterMail does support two used by Plesk options Bounce and Catch to address.

Could you describe how to set Redirect to IP and Discard options through SmarterMail interface?

Could you describe how to set Redirect to IP and Discard options through SmarterMail interface?

Hmm you are right...I couldnt find this option even in Smartermail. Strange always thought this was supported.

Apologies for not looking at this first.

Redirect to IP is set through:

1. Settings in the top
2. Routing > Domain forwarding in the left tree

Not sure if discard can be obtained, but still it doesn't resolve the issue below:

It is not possible to disable catch-all through the Plesk interface when you have enabled this. This is because no other radio buttons can be selected and the field cannot be left empty.

I hope you really will give yourself the time to read and understand the fact I'm pointing out here...

Hello mikaelkj,

Redirect to IP is set through:

1. Settings in the top
2. Routing > Domain forwarding in the left tree

In this case SmarterMail will redirect all emails to another server.
It is not the same as redirect for non-existent emails.

Not sure if discard can be obtained, but still it doesn't resolve the issue below:

It is not possible to disable catch-all through the Plesk interface when you have enabled this. This is because no other radio buttons can be selected and the field cannot be left empty.

I hope you really will give yourself the time to read and understand the fact I'm pointing out here...

Please be sure through Plesk > Server > Interface Management > Interface Templates > Interface customization template > Show Toolbar the option is not hidden.
For more information please look at http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.4/Doc/en-US/plesk-8.4-win-administrators-guide/28734.htm

Ok, I didn't think it was possible that I was not clear enough... I'll try and explain it more clearly with screenshots:

In this case SmarterMail will redirect all emails to another server.
It is not the same as redirect for non-existent emails.

If you look at the scrrenshot plesk1.jpg you wil see that I mean the option Redirect to external mail server with IP address: and if I am not mistaken this IS the option in SmarterMail called domain forwarding.

Please be sure through Plesk > Server > Interface Management > Interface Templates > Interface customization template > Show Toolbar the option is not hidden.
For more information please look at http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.4/Doc/en-US/plesk-8.4-win-administrators-guide/28734.htm

Well, it isn't hidden - its set to Default as you can see in plesk2.jpg and plesk3.jpg this is a way for me to see it since I can select Show but still, this is a bug!

Attachments

• plesk1.jpg
    plesk1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 82
  • plesk2.jpg
    plesk2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 79
  • plesk3.jpg
    plesk3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 75
If you look at the scrrenshot plesk1.jpg you wil see that I mean the option Redirect to external mail server with IP address: and if I am not mistaken this IS the option in SmarterMail called domain forwarding.

http://help.smartertools.com/SmarterMail/v5/Topics/SystemAdmin/Config/DomainForwards.aspx:

"Domain forwarding allows you to easily send mail through one server to another. This will allow your server to act as an incoming gateway to your network, and permit you to have a single point of entry for incoming SMTP traffic."

http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.6/Doc/en-US/plesk-8.6-win-administrators-guide/52941.htm:

"When somebody sends an e-mail message to an e-mail address that does not exist under your domain, the mail server, by default accepts mail, processes it, and when it finds out that there is no such a recipient under the domain, it returns the mail back to sender with the "this address no longer accepts mail" notice."

These are different behavior. Thus these are different options.

Well, it isn't hidden - its set to Default as you can see in plesk2.jpg and plesk3.jpg this is a way for me to see it since I can select Show but still, this is a bug!

It means Bounce option is hidden by default. Please click OK after Show and the option will be displayed.

http://help.smartertools.com/SmarterMail/v5/Topics/SystemAdmin/Config/DomainForwards.aspx:

"Domain forwarding allows you to easily send mail through one server to another. This will allow your server to act as an incoming gateway to your network, and permit you to have a single point of entry for incoming SMTP traffic."
YES... BUT my point was: Why doesn't this feature work with SmarterMail since SmarterMail DOES support this feature!!?

I'm beginning to wonder if you are deliberately trying to avoid the fact of the matter....

YES... BUT my point was: Why doesn't this feature work with SmarterMail since SmarterMail DOES support this feature!!?

Because the were no requests of such functionality.
Could you explain why do you need this feature? What is the case?

Well, for example for providing MX backup services to customers....

I can just fine do it through SmarterMail's interface... BUT I think "Because the were no requests of such functionality." is a very bad excuse... You have this feature in the webinterface, and it is supported through other mail-engines (MailEnable i think) so you must've had a reason to implement it in the first place???

You are aware that this is NOT at NEW feature request...! This is a feature that is implemented in the Plesk interface but doesn't seem to be enabled when using SmarterMail!

Back