1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

SMTP and MX on different IP addresses, but with same port

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by zooming, Sep 4, 2007.

1. zooming

zooming Regular Pleskian

57%
    Hello,

How can I configure SMTP and MX on Plesk, so they run on different IP addresses, but in the default port (TCP 25)?

I want to allow only authenticated users on the SMTP IP, no MX traffic here.

In the MX IP I'll configure some restrictions, like Graylisting, etc (using SpamDyke).

Thank you.

Alexandre

2. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

SMTP is a protocol, MX is a DNS record type. I really have no idea what you're talking about.

3. danliker

danliker Silver Pleskian Plesk Certified Professional

43%
    i think zooming like to use different servers for mail sending and receiving, right ?

but i don't see the problem ...

4. zooming

zooming Regular Pleskian

57%
    Yes, that's right.

I want two different "servers" responding to SMTP, but one will be responding only for the MX IP (published), and the other to the SMTP address that my clients will use to authenticate and send email.

In the MX IP I will put more restrictions (RBL, Graylisting, RCPT limits, etc), in the authenticated SMTP IP I'll not restrict anything (because only authenticated users will use this IP).

Thank you.

Alexandre

5. zooming

zooming Regular Pleskian

57%
    The problem is how to configure Plesk so I can run SMTP for MX and client connections with different configurations, in the same server.

Two xinetd scripts will do the job?
    Is there a way to bind a xinetd service to a specific IP address?