• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Smtp inbound and Control Panel Website

D

dwdietz

Ok so I used the control panel add/remove programs, Plesk 8.1 to install the Anti Virus options from Plesk (I should have left it alone it was working) which seemed to install fine. So now I have tons of mail in my smtp inbound que very similiar to http://forums.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38660
However I cant seem to resolve mine. I want to uninstall the AV since I did not pay for them (I did not realize plesk would let you install if you dont have license for it, seems silly) however now I can not get to my control panel website, nor can i use the add/remove programs from the windows control panel it just ahgns on the checking installation conditions and never get past that. How can i remove the av features? How can i get my Plesk control panel website back?

I tried to apply the Plesk Patch plesk_8.1.0_update070216.19.msp but all it does is hang on the Checking Installtion Conditions as well just like the windows add/remove programs.

Please help

Doug

Resolved

After much pain, I manually went to services via Computer MGMT and set the Dr Web And Kapersky Services to disabled and rebooted the server. This allowed access to the add/remove programs via windows control panel as well as the plesk control panel website. Once I got into the add/remove I removed Plesk anti virus programs, rebooted and all functions are back to normal.

Hope this helps someone.

I still am not clear on the Anti Virus why it is allowed to isntall of you ahve not paid for the additional cost? To the best of my knowledge there is additional cost for Dr Web and Kapersky that is avaialbe during the install correct?

This is how I got mine disabled and working.

for Plesk 8.1 / MailEnable Standard 1.981

..Go into Task Manager and end these tasks..
-w3wp.exe Username: psaadm
-plesksrv.exe Username: SYSTEM
-kavsvc.exe

..Open Start > Run > "services.msc" (without quotes)
..Find "Kaspersky Antivirus TM" service, Right-click > Properties > Startup Type > "Disabled" (LEAVE SERVICES.MSC OPEN FOR LATER)
..Open Start > Run > "mailenable.msc" (without quotes)
..Under "Agents" folder, "MTA" > Right-click "Properties" > Uncheck/Disable "Enable pickup event" (this will fix the error: Pickup Event could not find path to executable (2): in log files)
..Go back to your previous "services.msc" window
..Restart Plesk Management and Plesk PopPass Service

Try to login again. If the above doesn't work, Try to reboot your computer after Last step (Restarting of services).

ps: I am not responsible for any loss of data (incoming emails, etc) that this may cause.

Thanks.. I did very similiar by disabling the services then rebooting, and then add/remove and removed the plesk antivirus features and all is well again

Well, after I disabled Kaspersky A/V, I then went back into Plesk CP and switched the A/V Component to DrWeb A/V.

DrWeb is working great.

yeah, it should be pre-installed with 8.1

Login to CP.. Go to "Server" > "Component Mgmt" > "Anti-Virus".

You should see a list of A/V products, but only 2 available..Kaspersky
& DrWeb.

I had removed them from the add/remove programs so they were not available at all.. If Dr Web is free though and works ok, I will add it back in adn only use it.

Yeah. DrWeb isn't the best, but its better than nothing.

thanks.. well i have installed it via windows control panel add/remove and then enabled under plesk control panel, enabled scanning on incoming and outgoing messages.. I can certainly see a CPU utilization difference however mail is still flowing unlike when i had both installed.

yeah, there is a slight cpu util. difference. CPU < A/V in the nature of servers :)

Well thanks again.. I never could seem to find if these A/V's were free or not since it shows a cost for them when you purchase Plesk. There was never any thing very clear. However I am understanding that the only thing this is doing is checking mail itself but not protecting the server, however I would suspect for the most part that is my security breeh other than customers uploading via ftp.

No Problem. Yeah, all this does is scan incoming/outgoing mail. I use McAfee Enterprise Edition 8.5i for system A/V.

Thats what I want to use but need to be sure it doesn't cause any issues or do i need to exclude the mail que folders, etc before i go putting it on there.

Originally posted by dwdietz
Thats what I want to use but need to be sure it doesn't cause any issues or do i need to exclude the mail que folders, etc before i go putting it on there.

McAfee Enterprise Edition 8.5i?

I have tweaked a few minor things for MailEnable to run properly.

Access Protection: I have added all ME(x).exe's to the exception list for port 25.

Buffer overflow Protection: I have set to Warning Mode instead of Blocking.

All works great.

Is Dr Web Free?

I know it's a late reply but somebody new may be reading this thread. if Dr. WEB is preinstalled with plesk you'll probably have 1 year licence to use it. After your licence expires, your mail server will automatically skip antivirus checks. So you'll have to buy a new yearly licence from the plesk add-ons section of parallels website to get mr. dr. web back to work.

You may also use an another a/v product to secure important server sources and user ftp files since Dr. WEB only scans for incoming and outgoing emails. As far as I know, it's not a good idea to simply install an a/v software and leave it alone with the server. You'll probably have tons of difficulties because of the real time scanner. That would block all incoming and outgoing emails and may damage some server resources as well as some other scheduled tasks etc. So the easiest way is to cancel real time scanner of your a/v product and do some scheduled check-ups manually with your mail server directory & some other important directories excluded. Or doing a scan while all your services are offline/disabled maybe another good idea. Do not delete any of the infected files directly. Instead, try to quarantine them to see if that would effect anything on the server. Google & check a/v databases for the infected files/filenames to have some information about them. Also, if a real time scanner is necessary, then I think a good fine tuning of the real time scaner must be made.

My best.

Back