• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SMTP Server (QMail) always stopped in Server > Services

D

dstanley

Hi Guys,

Every time i go to Services in the psa SMTP Server (QMail)is always off.

It seems to turn itself on when some1 on the server sends an emails but then goes back offline.

Why is this happening; can i keep it online?

I had to uninstall the RBL package for qmail and then I was able to restart Qmail. The Services page polls all the services when it loads by running a script, if it doesn't get a response from port 25, it thinks it's down.

I know Watchdog use to kill Qmail in 7.5 if you had it monitoring Qmail, don't think its an issue anymore but I don't use Watchdog.

How do i do uninstall the package?

Is there a way to find out why its stopping?

Originally posted by dstanley Every time i go to Services in the psa SMTP Server (QMail)is always off.

I've noticed this behaviour also on FreeBSD - but actually I think it's a bug in the Services module - making the module not always get the correct state of the qmail service.

As I can see it runs and my external monitor has never caught a down failoure on the SMTP.

So I think it's because the module dosen't read the correct state of SMTP/qmail and you don't have to worrie about it.

check and adjust your MAPS zones make sure they are
correct.. If you have one wrong or one that doesnt exist this will happen... It happened to me and I removed one and it was all fine again.

i would check the psa_smtp file on your server. look at the whitespace and ensure "one" space and try to restart it. If you want you can paste your psa_smtp here and I will take a look at it

I have the same problem and i dont know how to fix it.

Here is my smtp_psa:

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r cbl.abuseat.org -r dnsbl.ahbl.org -r rhsbl.ahbl.org -r ircbl.ahbl.org -r list.dsbl.org -r t1.dnsbl.net.au -r combined.njabl.org -r bhnc.njabl.org -r relays.ordb.org -r dnsbl.sorbs.net -r bl.spamcop.net -r sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

Please help.

i would bet that its complaining that ...
server_args = /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r cbl.abuseat.org -r dnsbl.ahbl.org -r rhsbl.ahbl.org -r ircbl.ahbl.org -r list.dsbl.org -r t1.dnsbl.net.au -r combined.njabl.org -r bhnc.njabl.org -r relays.ordb.org -r dnsbl.sorbs.net -r bl.spamcop.net -r sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true

is too long... If you checked the error log

Try removing some of the MAPS zones and retry....
In fact remove all but one and try it... Then If it works start adding one at a time til it breaks agian... Then you know...

I just check these three ( dnsbl.ahbl.org, rhsbl.ahbl.org & ircbl.ahbl.org ) and received messages that they do not resolve. I think they have changed the way you do lookups.

Also, combined.njabl.org & bhnc.njabl.org are the same, "combined" will check everything they have. No need for both.

these are the ones that I am currently using.
combined.njabl.org
bhnc.njabl.org
relays.ordb.org
dnsbl.sorbs.net
bl.spamcop.net
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

and ....
combined.njabl.org: dnsbl.njabl.org and dynablock.njabl.org in a single zone (to reduce the number of queries for sites wanting to use both zones)

bhnc is seperate....
so yes you can use both....

It was the MAPS protection for me as well. Disabling MAPS protection solved the problem.

Yes, if some of your DNS BL's are down or unreachable, then things will time out - and the Plesk watchdog will report qmail as dead. I just noticed problems today on my server, and when I did a dnsreport.com on it, it could not connect to my server.

If you manually test it with "telnet your.mailserver.here 25" it will eventually connect after a long period of time.

We appear to be having some internet wide DNS issues today. I'm having trouble with dns resolution on several major DNSRBLs such as spamhaus, etc.

You should remove relays.ordb.org since they are gone from the 18. December 2006 these makes error to your qmail in psa

You should also change sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org to zen.spamhaus.org as they have combined their DNSBLs into one single powerful and comprehensive blocklist to make querying faster and simpler.

http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/

after installing spamassassin from 4psa my qmail always stand as dead

thanks removing relays.ordb.org then doing service xinetd restart and service qmail restart has fixed this issue for us.

Back