• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spam Appliances

matt.simpson

Basic Pleskian
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Spam Appliances such as:

- MailFoundry: http://www.solinus.com/mailfoundry

- Barracuda: http://www.barracudanetworks.com/

Etc.

I've recently been pulling my hair out about the number of spam messages that come into my server. I get so many that Spam Assassin is pretty much taking over the server on a regular basis and my machine is pretty damn beefy.

Besides a Spam Appliance, I'm really not sure what to do to get this situation under control. Any suggestions are welcome, any comments on Spam Appliances that you use are welcome.

Best Regards,
Matt Simpson

since 10/2004 we using Barracuda Spam Firewall 300 ... and lovin..

this is a very reliable platform...

Basicaly is an supermivro sc51 + linux + spam assasin + some stuff from Barracudanetworks...

I loving this apliance ... (75% of spam are automaticaly droped out )

Tia

Do you mind me asking what you paid for it? I know they have several different pricing structures but they all seem pretty high.

Ever looked at MailFoundry?

I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do is.

~Matt

We work @ Brazil, and signed an NDA for start re-sell this kind of apliance ... in this way we paid 50% of the price for one "Not For Re-sale" apliance.

Obvius this machine is working as DEMO to new costumers (internal users and other corporations ) and production anti-spam solutions.

We verified other solutions but the prices/features/ performance of barracudas for our kind of bussines is OK.

TIA

Like cranky said, Ive got an anti-spam gateway setup called Project Gamera. Nearly identical to the way baracuda works (except I use razor, dcc, SA and clamav), as well as my personal extra tricks thrown in there. Currently its qmail based, but the next generation is running on postfix, and will be able to run alongside PSA on the same box. I took a break from working on it to get my grsec kernels done, but now that thats out of the way I should be getting back to it soon.

ART, after my Gamera server took a dump, I have been testing this setup out ever since you said you were thinking of switching to Postfix. Takes a while to setup but is pretty robust. Its nice that you can set it up to let you forward a spammail to the server to train the filter.

http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/wiki/index.php

Currently, I am looking to setup MRTG to display mail stats like email traffic/spam traffic/clamav scans/etc...

As you might imagine I have a huge backlog of requests, and I probably wont ever be able to address all of them, it's always something I struggle with on what to support next. Someone gave me a really good suggestion the other day about how to facilitate what gets done first, they suggested that I set up an escrow system like Codeweavers: (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name)

Basically you put the users right in the product development cycle by allowing them to dedicate funds to only the projects they are interested in. Of course Id actually have to put something like that together... which also goes on my never ending, ever growing, TODO list. :p

So, for the moment, the only OS's I can support anything on are: RH9, FC1/2/3, and 3ES (plus its clones). *BSD*, SuSE, Mandrake, OSX, Slackware, etc are just not anything Ive got the time or resources to address at this time.

Also Sieb, I tested out a whole mountain of postfix based "toasters" (including that one, on linux), which is what made me decide to go to postfix. My final concept is similar to that one, but with a lot more features.

>>ince 10/2004 we using Barracuda Spam Firewall 300 ... and lovin

I am looking at cuda box. It looks like I need smtp_auth to allow cuda to send the customers their login info. But I don't want customer to use my box for outgoing smtp servers.

I only want to offer spam protection to the customer that pay for it.

TIA,

Andrew

No.... the auth in cuda box is autonomous or depending of model 200/300/400/600/800 have

internal auth/database - Ldap auth - Radius auth

Our simple 300 don't have radius only internal + ldap our users reveive one e-mail from cuda with pwd to manage white/black list and spam gauge, and if need chage the pwd to what he need)

The Cuda apliances... have now 3 models...

1. STD = Spam firewall ... its only incoming mail

2. Outbond version, the name said

3. spyware + web cache...

I have one Spam firewalll ..

All e-mail from users ion main domain pass in this appliance (we run one ISP) the e-mails from users (hosting) who pay for the anti spam serrvice pass too.

We deployed 3 payment models...

1. No protection (all virouses and SPAM)
2. @ host ( spam assasin + clamAV or spam assasin + Dr web) based only on plesk ans versions + plugins by 4PSA or SW-sft
3. Cuda + Host

and obvious..

1 = $
2 = $$$
3 = $$$$$$

:)

Back