• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spamassassin costs??

M

MarkuzM

While i do enjoy using plesk because it's easier than crawling through all of the configuration files, and particular package documentation.

My question is WHY would you charge for using spamassassin? It seems counter intuitive to me to charge $50 to your customers after they spent quite a large sum for your software, so they can be rid of spam mails easier.

It just bothers me to no end, that parallels is charging 50$ just for a pretty php page, because in all actuality, spamassassin is a free package. I would hope that a company such as parallels would be as eager to rid the internet of as much spam as possible.

Just my 2¢ on the matter.

Sorry, but it is incorrect. We charge not for using spamassasin but we charge for ability for management of spamassassin by our Plesk product. Do you feel difference?
You can install spamassassin to standalone server and customize, tune it manually for your goals. It will be free.
And you can buy possibility to manage a lot of emails and protect it with spamassassin by our Plesk Panel.

obviously you didn't read the entire post.

It just bothers me to no end, that parallels is charging 50$ just for a pretty php page.

As you know $50 is not only for nice php page for spamassassin management. There are a lot of other options included to this cost except spamassassin. Do you really think that Plesk should be freeware? Do you really think that Plesk is only set of "pretty php pages"? :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the fee, because the built-in anti-spam is not effective in any way, probably why numerous third parties sell anti-spam add-ons for Plesk. I'd look at one of those instead and save your money.

There is more than one way to do it all right. It also depends a lot on your audience. Host doctors for example... they get a lot of legitimate traffic that will look like spam. Or real estate people for that matter.

And yeah, plesk is a whole lot more than a PHP web front end. You're missing out on all the things that go on behind the scenes that the web interface abstracted away. Then multiply that by supporting a huge number of platforms, multiple languages, 3rd party integration, etc.

Back