• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spamassassin load !

J

JoaoCorreia

Hi,

I have a problem with spamassassin load !

I use qmail-scanner and spamassassin from AtomicTurtle !

My spamd is chewing lots of load !! it makes the machine hang when it receives too many mails !!!

Can I limit the ammount of mails getting in the machine by second by changing qmail parameters ?

Did anyone had similar problem ?

Best regards
Joao Correia

I don't really no much at all, but a start to tweaking qmail, look here:
/var/qmail/control/

All I really know is I use 4PSA's Qmail Manager and that's the location of the files it tweaks.

-poke

Spamd can bring a busy machine down to it's knees when receiving mail bursts.. RAM is crucial.

You can define control/concurrencysmtpd, and you can also limit spamd's daemons. However, these can also limit mail throughput performance in normal situations.

The best approach: get a dedicated filtering box, with a nice amount of RAM, and stop worrying.

Yes, I've offloaded our spam/virii scanning to a dedicated box using Fortress Secure Mail Scanner (free). It's caught over 95% of spam, and all virii that have hit it. Now my hosting servers are left doing just that, hosting sites, not processing email, though I still leave SA running for customers to customize.

I can't find a reference to concurrencysmtpd on the qmail website should that be concurrencylocal?

I have seen references to that control file 'concurrencysmtpd' on qmailrocks.org and several mailing lists. I believe that it is not a 'pure' Qmail control file, but rather for an addon, just not sure exactly which one. (may be related to running Qmail under tcpserver instead of inetd/xinetd)

Here is one reference to a qmail-init man page:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/qmail-init.8.html

Nor on any of the RH distro servers we manage. I think it depends on exactly which way you implement Qmail on a given server, since there are several ways to do it. I know it is not Plesk's way to do the Qmail via tcpserver and with daemontools, etc. so that may be the primary difference in how many of the 'other' control files we find when googling. Plus the fact that they are using basically the 'raw' Qmail source, no patches.

Back