• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SSH root password reset?

E

everyman

Hello,

I'm having a problem loggin in into root SSH. I have reset the main admin password from Plesk but it didn't help. I have also succeefully logged into SSH but as a Domain user, without root privileges.

What can I do next?

Please help.
Mike

Changing the Plesk admin's password won't do much for the system's root account. Is the problem that you forgot the root password?

Well I didn't logged into SSH as root even once. It never worked. It should be the same as the Plesk admin I assume, but it isn't.

Any help will be useful.

Mike

There is no reason it should be the same as Plesk's admin password. The root password is set during the OS installation.

If you're running on Ubuntu (and maybe other dists) root simply doesn't have a password. You cannot log in as root. Instead you ssh into the box as a regular user and then use sudo to gain root privileges where needed.

Solved

The tech support informed me where the password is. It can be seen in KIS panel in the VPS details page. I mistakenly input the password from KIS activation page which is only for KIS.

Thank you all for help and time.

Mike

Hi, can you be more verbose?

The tech support informed me where the password is. It can be seen in KIS panel in the VPS details page. I mistakenly input the password from KIS activation page which is only for KIS.

Thank you all for help and time.

Mike

can you explain in full words what is KIS, where is the VPS details page?
I am trying to find where is this root password, but I can't understand your reply

If you're running on Ubuntu (and maybe other dists) root simply doesn't have a password. You cannot log in as root. Instead you ssh into the box as a regular user and then use sudo to gain root privileges where needed.
The main problem I have with this statement is I log into a ubuntu 14.04 server running Plesk 12 as root all the the time.

Back