• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

subdomain users - can I make one?

A

abbynormal

Is it possible to create a user that has full priviledges to only the subdomain of a domain? If possible, I would like to have a user with e-mail priviledges, Plesk login, etc but only to the subdomain. How shall I go about it?

You can create a subdomain as a real domain, i.e. instead of adding domain.com to plesk just add sub.domain.com and it will get all the standard domain functionality.

subdomain client as normal domain client

So, I set up a new client. Then, it wants me to assign him an ip address to his ip pool before I can add a domain. However, the subdomain shouldn't have its own ip address, should it? How can I set it up where it's all on the same ip?

If you create a 'subdomain' as a 'real' domain, then it's not really a 'subdomain' as you would normally think of it and it will have to be associated with an IP address, it can be a shared IP or dedicated IP if you wish.

However even normal subdomains in fact are associated with an IP address, the IP address of the main controlling domain.

You do not necessarily have to create a new client. If the subdomain is still owned by the same 'client' as the main domain, just add it to the existing client.

subdomain client

Well, the point would be to give one person control over the subdomain, while not having access to any other parts of the primary domain. Also, I don't seem to have the option to assign a shared ip address (the ip of the main domain) to the new client. All the ip's listed are "exclusive". Do I have something incorrectly configured?

You would have to configure an IP as shared, then assign that IP to 2 domains.

Eventhough they have the same domain.tld, the subdomain.domain.tld being a 'full' domain of it's own will have it's own FTPUsername and password separate from the other domain, even if it's on the same IP address.

Sharing IP's amongst domains is safe, one domain's users cannot get to the other shared domain's files (unless you do some additional stuff to allow it).

Great, I think I am almost ready to do this :) Last question - right now when I go to ip pool, the only ip's available to me are exclusive. The ip address of the main domain isn't even listed, so I can't set the subdomain up to use it as a shared ip. How can I get access to already used ip's to be available as shared ip's in the ip pool?

Nix that last question:

I went to Server>IP Addresses>IP address of main domain>Change it from "Exclusive" to "Shared".

Thank you for your help cranky and jamesyeeoc!

Back