• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Suggestion: Simplified Permissions

D

Deltafox

After using Plesk many years now i have a suggestion that i would like to see in a next version of Plesk for Windows: Simplified Permissions.

Many CMS sytems, guestbooks etcetera need you to change permissions for some folders and files. When users need to change this it is very complicated with the different users IUSR_ IWAM_ ftpuser and the different windows ntfs rights full control, modify.

I would like to see users can just select folders en files from the directory three and make it just "writeable".

Maybe it is a suggestion to enhance the "File Manager" with Simple Permissions / Advanced Permissions?

Also it would be very nice if plesk backup and migration manager saves/copies these permissions.

Thank you very much!

Paul Hermans
www.foxxl.nl

totally agree! Very good suggestion.

Kind r

Bjørn-T

If you're really so inclined (and naive enough to think it's a good idea), you can login to plesk and select the domain. click 'setup', then check the box at the bottom for "additional write/modify permissions". This will give full read/write perms to all necessary accounts. And it will increase the security risks of your site many times over.

Hi Shall,

Thanks for your response. De additional write/modify permissions have nothing to do with simplified windows permissions that i suggest, does it?

I want my customers to change write permissions in an easy way.

For example: Customer A has a folder named "uploads" which he uses tot upload stuff with his website. I want him to go to Plesk - File Manager and just select this folder and make it writeable with one click of a button.

Let me know what you think about it.

Greetz Paul

Yep, the username with those prefix is annoying. Without some knowledge of how IIS user name formation will lead to security holes and also clients who reject to subscribe your service.

If you want very simple permissions, switch to Linux. Windows permissions are more complex by design, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Adding a layer of simplicity to it would inevitably put novice users further at risk when they give permissions that arent necessary.

well, that is why there should be a solution and good coding to take care of that. We can not always change the platform if there is a security risk for simplified module. That is the ultimate goal of software development to not only bring security to server but also simple to use application to clients.

Back