• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Suggestions for Domain Alias, the things that we want...

W

Who-m3

With Plesk 8.0 came the push of the new "Domain Alias" feature. A new way to save your domains, but provide your clients a way to have more than one domain pointing to their website. Although many of the more advanced users have had ways of doing this already, it was something everyone was happy to see FINALLY put into play. Yet, with all things that are highly publicized, there are let downs...

First, you give us Domain Aliases with DNS Records that don't use the DNS Templates we've set up. This means we've got to go through and change any and all records that we need to be a certain way IF we want them to follow the standards on the box. Yeah, that's fun. That's why the DNS Templates were so nice. I could set up the stuff that needed to be prepared for the propogation, including the slave server setup, etc., and the client wouldn't ever have to confuse themselves with "what do you mean it doesn't work?". Now, when they mess it up, it's a click to fix. But, Domain Aliases don't follow this, which makes it 10 times harder when a client messes up the Domain Alias. Now, some of you are saying "Easy fix, just take away DNS Management from the Client.", which would do the job..but that'd also take options from the client, and overload my helpdesk should they need modifications. I prefer my clients to be able to access their domain, as it is THEIRS.

Second, you give us options on the primary domain to "Bounce", "Reject", or use a "Catch-All" address for e-mail to the domain. Yet with Domain Aliases, we don't have this option. We have no options. With a domain that's previously been used by a client (frequently, or if at all), but suddenly they move to a new domain, that leaves some issues. Example: One client switches to Domain2.Com, Domain1.Com is a Domain Alias. They don't want to receive e-mail from certain accounts on that domain, but want other e-mail to come through. They create the accounts on Domain2.Com that they want, set up Mail and Domain aliases. All of the rest...bounce to the originator (or in this case, no where, since it was a majority of spam, meaning it comes right back to my inbox..).

1. Domain Templates are a must. If they work for the Primary Domain, they have to be able to work for the Domain Aliases. It shouldn't be hard to do, seeing as it currently uses your original fixed "template" anyway.

2. Give us the option to modify, or mirror the settings from the primary domain for the Domain Alias's Mail Config. If "Bounce" is selected, let it bounce. If "Reject" is selected, add the domain to the list in /var/qmail/control/rejectnonexist so that it'll reject instead of bounce. If Catch-All, set up the Catch-All address on it. But please give us a way to manage it properly.

That's about all I have for now, that's my little rant for the 18th of July. Anyone feeling the same way, feel free to add your comments. Those of you who disagree, I welcome your responses as well. I just hope to get someone at SW-Soft to realize that this is an incomplete feature, and these seem like they'd be easy things to add to the next "hotfix" release...(Hopefully, anyway). (Side note: Please excuse any typos, etc. I'm too lazy to use spell-check.)

I vote YES as well to BOTH issues!

Just what I was trying to figure out ...

aaabyss

I'm having the same problem. My hosting provider uses plesk and I have several domain aliases and getting so much spam that is being bounced it's shutting down my SMTP server due to their limits before I ever get out of bed in the morning.

Has anyone found a way to "reject" mail to unknown recipients on domain aliases?

Originally posted by Who-m3
2. Give us the option to modify, or mirror the settings from the primary domain for the Domain Alias's Mail Config. If "Bounce" is selected, let it bounce. If "Reject" is selected, add the domain to the list in /var/qmail/control/rejectnonexist so that it'll reject instead of bounce. If Catch-All, set up the Catch-All address on it. But please give us a way to manage it properly.

I totally agree. Anyone here who purchased support from SWsoft that can create and chase a ticket regarding these issues?

SWsoft support is too expensive for me at this moment....

I asked the support about the problem with domain aliases and screwed up mail handling. I got this response from support:

Hello,

this is known problem and currently, Plesk developers are working on it's solution. Please watch our website for updates.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

--
Ivan Butorin
Technical Support Engineer
SWsoft, Inc.

from Plesk support
this is known problem and currently, Plesk developers are working on it's solution. Please watch our website for updates.
Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Work on AWSTATS while you're at it as well please ...

aaabyss

Originally posted by HopChop
I asked the support about the problem with domain aliases and screwed up mail handling. I got this response from support:

It would be nice if, at the same time, they would make it possible to allow the server admin to disable the 'catch-all' functionality. It has no place in this age with dictionary spam. These spam-runs using hundredes of hacked pc's to send spam to [email protected] are a real killer for mailservers!

To turn off bounce and set all existing clients to reject...

Plesk 8:
login
server -> Interface Management -> Interface Templates (tab) -> Preferences

Tick the box "Hide controls for bounce messages for non-existent mail addresses"

Then SSH in and
login to mysql

connect psa;
update Parameters set value='reject' where parameter='nonexist_mail' and value='bounce';

This prevents client turning it back to bounce and removes the option. The sql statement switches all references to bounce into reject but leaves the forward (catchalls) alone.

Regards

Originally posted by gromett
To turn off bounce and set all existing clients to reject...

Plesk 8:
login
server -> Interface Management -> Interface Templates (tab) -> Preferences

Tick the box "Hide controls for bounce messages for non-existent mail addresses"

Then SSH in and
login to mysql

connect psa;
update Parameters set value='reject' where parameter='nonexist_mail' and value='bounce';

This prevents client turning it back to bounce and removes the option. The sql statement switches all references to bounce into reject but leaves the forward (catchalls) alone.

Regards

The better way to do this is to login to Plesk as admin, go to domains, click "all" tick the "all box" then click "group operations".

Anyway, you will have to redo this every time a new domain is created. There have to be a way to allow admin to disable all catch-all activity, whether it's bounce or redirect.

Back