• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SWsoft and Microsoft relationship

PSi_101

Regular Pleskian
I've noticed that SWsoft has increasingly become more Microsoft focused. With the very quick releases of the Windows version of Plesk, to the recently announced SWsoft sponsored shared web hosting seminar with Microsoft, not to mention the Windows version of Plesk having more features than the Unix version currently.
I'm curious to find out how this is going to affect SWsoft's focus on the Unix version going forward.
Are you planning to maintain the same featureset across both platforms following the same release schedule? Or will the Windows versions see new features first followed by the Unix version.

Well it is understandable, look at the size of the existing user base of Windows machines vs Linux. This is due to the fact that most of the office techie's are familiar with Windows with it's GUI interface, these 'young-uns' were not even born when the real hey-day of computing was still CLI based. Many of them have no real clue as to what a command prompt can be used for.

The size of the existing base of windows machines shouldn't matter. What should matter is the platform which most web hosters use as their choice of operating system. Now I can't say this with 100% certainty, but don't most web hosting providers use some variant of Unix? Most probably Linux.
The vast majority of end user desktop machine may be Windows. But the vast majority of server operating systems used for web hosting is probably Unix.
If and only IF SWsoft are changing their focus, then I have to express my disappointment.

Maybe MS will announce an easier way to obtain an SPLA license for use of Windows Server as hosting solutions WITH Plesk software..... nah....:rolleyes:

That would be pretty dumb if they left that glaring fact out durring the seminars and just pushed to get you to buy all this software.. "Heres this great combo deal to get you started on your way to becoming a web hosting company! Oh, by the way, you need to hire certified MS staff and pay for a seperate license for that windows server.."

When they first announced their Windows version, I knew that they would start taking forever to get known reported bugs fixed.

Like many companies these days, they are trying to spread their eggs into multiple baskets.

Well, we'll just have to see what happens from here out.

And of course, allying with MS will probably do their wallet some good. Who knows, maybe if their Windows version takes off, they'll have money to hire more programmers and get stuff done faster... (hope springs eternal).

The windows and unix dev teams are completely different groups folks, theres no grand conspiracy here :p

Its just another popular platform to support, the demand is there, and they have the ability to support it. We started developing for Windows back before even PSA 6.0 was released, with a dedicated windows team, specifically so one release (windows) wasn't tied to another (linux).

So i wonder when Microsoft will come out with their own control panel? it's a huge market so i think it is inevitable.

I hope SWSoft will give the Unix version some of the great features it has given the winblows version.

3 releases for winblows and Unix is still waiting, does not seem like the Team is evenly spread to me.

Actually you know to be fair to SWSoft i guess the windows crew have encountered a few more problems than the Nix version - (Nix is more mature after all). So i can see why they would be trying to fix and release the windows updates as quickly as possible.

I am running 7.5.2 on FreeBSD and for the most part it is a joy, very few problems and the problems i have run up against some were fixable and some need an update that i am in no real rush for. I think the 7.5.2 release has been the most stable to date .. So Good Job Guys if your reading this.

Can't wait for the latest Horde but they have posted the 7.5.3 beta to try, just haven't had time to upgrade my test server yet though.

Actually, the windows forum isn't nearly as active as the unix forum here. My windows boxes haven't needed nearly as much pampering to get up and running as my linux boxes (although that's been aleviated with ARTs YUMs). The only problem I've had with windows is when 2k3's SP1 fubar'd the permissions for PSAs services on one of my boxes, before that they were pretty stable.. But, there's something to be said for being able to quickly jump around in GUIs behind PSA and modify stuff (IIS, MailEnable, mySQL, etc..) as opposed to sitting at the CLI editing config files on linux... :D

I have a bigger worry. Microsoft acquires SWsoft. Guess what happens to *nix development then?

John

I'm not sure at all about this, but i heard on the these forums about a year and a half ago, that one of the top 3 execs for swsoft came straight from the top of MS.

Maybe just a rumor, but it doesn't look like one to me. I just think inexpirienced windows admins pay the major cash to get things done for them. Then they sit back an brag about their MCSE certs and what not.

This is a very important next couple of years though if you are a *nix admin. It might be time to look elsewhere, but I still have some faith that swsoft will get their **** straight and start offering us *nix users more tools to help us compete in this cut throat hosting industry.

-poke

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Well it is understandable, look at the size of the existing user base of Windows machines vs Linux. This is due to the fact that most of the office techie's are familiar with Windows with it's GUI interface, these 'young-uns' were not even born when the real hey-day of computing was still CLI based. Many of them have no real clue as to what a command prompt can be used for.

I resent that :) I am a "young-un" and I started on Mac, then moved to Windows, and now to Linux. I'm quite happy with Linux, but, I do realize what it can do.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Well it is understandable, look at the size of the existing user base of Windows machines vs Linux.

Hmm, I am in another opinion. Most server-softwares are
Apache running onto Linux/Red-Hat.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
For the record, Ive never run windows. I went to linux in 1994 :p

And we are quite grateful for it! Where would the ART rpm's be had you not... :)

Originally posted by Snapdragon
And we are quite grateful for it! Where would the ART rpm's be had you not... :)

Actually, where would PSA be had he not? :D

Back