• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Swsoft should "PAY" Scott of ART -- Dump Qmail or we will Dump PLESK

K

knocx

We all know Qmail is quite old standalone, "expecially psa-qmail" lacks a lot of core patches required for effective relay and spam control

Since psa-qmail src rpm is not distributed by SwSoft with each update we are forced to deal with re-patching, re-packaging Qmail. This takes too much time.

We pay more than 6000 Euro / year to SwSoft , and still spending hours to configure the VERY old qmail with each update on our servers. Why do we have have to reconfigure things and still pay??

1- I suggest plesk to switch the MTA to postfix, All acounts are stored on DB and this should only take 1-2 weeks of development time at most!

Or

2- PLEASE include qmail patches such as badmailto maxrcpt ..etc with psa-qmail distribution. patching is a 20 minutes thing before packaging why dont you do this?? Why dont you include these patches.

Or

3- If you cant do above at least release psa-qmail source rpm. instead of releasing plesk-patches. thanks to art qmail source rpms , providing psa-qmail spec, and other useful 3rd part add-ons. Swsoft should "PAY" Scott of ART because he is the one saving plesks *** with his contributions. HOWEVER PLESK is a PAID software not a community release!!

We are already looking for alterntives to PLESK, we will dump PLESK immediately once find a good replacement Unfortunately CPanel , interfaces is not so good...

Postfix should be available in Plesk 9.0 as they have stated it will support multiple mail server options :)

i beliveve plesk 9 will be released no sooner than late 2008 , means approx 1 year, which is very late as said it is a 1-2 weeks of deployment time since currently there are no complicated MTA options on PLESK

I did start on making a PSA compatible qmail rpm here:

http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/packages/qmail/

I was shooting for a common qmail package between Project Gamera and PSA installs. The src.rpm is complete, but I think I ran into some odd reliability issues with it or something along those lines. It definitely needs some lovin by someone with more time to focus on it.

With one or two weeks I could get that pretty solid on the RH distros (centos/rhel/fedora).

In the Plesk development teams defense, they've also got to support the other distros (freebsd, osx, suse, debian, etc). I can only liken that kind of development environment to nuclear weapons and lawyers... when you use them together they just f**k everything up.

Originally posted by knocx
i beliveve plesk 9 will be released no sooner than late 2008 , means approx 1 year, which is very late as said it is a 1-2 weeks of deployment time since currently there are no complicated MTA options on PLESK

ETA is early 2008 not late 2008 which I would see as sometime first quarter 2008.

That is not that far away.

where did you get this release date information? i couldnt find it any where official.

BTW, IIRC, Scott was one of the founding fathers of PSA, no need to pay him per se. :)

You are correct, I am a founder of Plesk. And I make 10's of dollars a month through the donation link on ART :p

It would be a lot of fun to actually get that qmail package cleaned up, but alas I have minutes and seconds of free time to work on things like that these days.

If there was any project involving the mail server that I'd really want to get done, its to get it to the point where we could use it as a drop-in MS Exchange replacement.

Plesk 9 will be available this year. swsoft is working on releasing this as it will support Fedora 7.

They are working on getting it out BEFORE fedora release 8.

Originally posted by SHGreg
Postfix should be available in Plesk 9.0 as they have stated it will support multiple mail server options :)

Jajaja, that has to be a joke right?

SW Soft they would support ClamAV and Postfix with Plesk 8.0

We saw 8.1 and 8.2 and nothing.

The Plesk windows version has features on a daily release, they are dropping linux since Microsoft is putting the money.

Pleople are complaining about ClamAv and Postfix for over 8 months now.

Plesk 9 will have it, you can wait and see.

And I know for a fact SW-Soft has no intention of dumping *nix versions.

Actually we started talking about postfix in PSA 2.0. Qmail is a legacy of when it was the only MTA that we could do virtual hosting with, at the time postfix hadn't even been adopted by Redhat.

From the development side, this really is a major change, I can't think of anything else in all the versions of PSA since 2.0 that are as big. So its going to take time.

I would appreciate if plesk adopts POSTFIX.

I don't have any experience with recompiling qmail with so many patches and am fed up with fighting spam.

So the people at Plesk do listen to the people in the forums?

I have spent nearly $8,000 dollars using plesk, and this pile of **** 8.2 is the most unsecure version yet. Very dissapointed that we have had to suffer 4 days down time fixing and patching and the end result is having to disable a functions to have working emails.

I agree, I cannot see the point in paying for stuff that is offered for free and we have to spend our time getting it to work with Plesk. That is why I use a Plesk package... it is suppose to do the work for me. It doesn't, and I'm not real happy spending this amount of time waiting for Plesk to pull their finger out.

Im happy looking at IPSconfig for a short term solution

Originally posted by atomicturtle
I did start on making a PSA compatible qmail rpm here:

http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/packages/qmail/

I was shooting for a common qmail package between Project Gamera and PSA installs. The src.rpm is complete, but I think I ran into some odd reliability issues with it or something along those lines. It definitely needs some lovin by someone with more time to focus on it.
Hi Scott,

Does your qmail replacement package for Plesk include the maxrcpt patch?
Please see the following URL:
http://qmail.jms1.net/patches/combined-details.shtml

Also, are you planning to add a quarantine folder feature (ideally with daily summary notification to the user) to qmail for spam messages?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

it does, and a lot of other things I dont recall at the moment. I don't have the time for it unfortunately, so Im looking for a new maintainer.

Back