• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

System error 13: permission denied after upgrade to 7.5.4

T

thawebmaster

I just updated Plesk to version 7.5.4 using the rpms. I encountered only a few problems during the installation. However the last problem to resolve is very hard to solve:

When I try to create or edit a mail name, I get an error in a javascript msgbox:
Unable to update the mail name properties:mailmng failed: mailmng: Unable to open file '/var/qmail/users/assign.lock': Permission denied.
mailmng: Error occurred while locking the file /var/qmail/users/assign: Permission denied
mailmng: Unable to remove record for test from assign file
System error 13: Permission denied
mailmng: Unable to open file '/var/qmail/users/assign.lock': Permission denied.
mailmng: Error occurred while locking the file /var/qmail/users/assign: Permission denied
mailmng: Unable to open file '/var/qmail/users/assign.lock': Permission denied.
mailmng: Unable to remove test mailbox record from assign file
mailmng: Unable to open file '/var/qmail/users/poppasswd.lock': Permission denied.
mailmng: Error occurred while locking the file /var/qmail/users/poppasswd: Permission denied
mailmng: Unable to remove test mailbox record from password file
mailmng: Unable to add record for test to assign file
System error 2: No such file or directory

I checked whether the file (/var/qmail/users/assign.lock) exists, and it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? It is a permission problem, but which rights does qmail need to have on the files mentioned above and which owner it belongs to?

Thanks in advance!

Code:
-rw-------    1 root     root          691 Oct 23 23:30 assign
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3002 Oct 23 23:30 cdb
-rw-------    1 root     root          174 Oct 17 02:39 poppasswd
-rw-------    1 root     root          170 Jul 12 23:36 poppasswd.backup
I do not find any file 'assign.lock' on my server.

hmm, strange...
however, can you show me the rights of your users folder?
I think that the assign.lock is created when updating a mail name and plesk is unable to write to it.

I did the rights exactly as you have them. However, it doesn't make any difference. Does anyone know how I can solve my problem?

Thanks so far, and thanks in advance!

I'm still trying to solve the problem. Without success however.
Could it be a suexec problem?
Does plesk make any logs where I can find more information?

Something more research learned me that creating new DNS records is also impossible.
I get the following error:

Code:
dnsmng() constructor failed: dnsmng failed: dnsmng: Unable to open file "/var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf.lock": Permission denied. dnsmng: Error occurred while locking the file /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf
0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.dnsmng.php:21 psaerror(string "dnsmng() constructor failed: dnsmng failed: dnsmng: Unable to open file "/var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf.lock": Permission denied. dnsmng: Error occurred while locking the file /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf")
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/cmd_dns.php3:442 dnsmngMaker()
2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/cmd_dns.php3:685 delete_dns_rec(integer "671")
3: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/domains/dns_add.php3:131 new_dns_rec(integer "18", boolean false, boolean false, string "bla", string "royalfish.nl", string "CNAME", string "50")

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

I just updated Plesk to version 7.5.4 using the rpms. I encountered only a few problems during the installation.
With your original statement and the additional problems you are having, I personally would re-do the installation/upgrade since it is quite apparent that something went very wrong during the upgrade.

There are a number of logs, located at:

/var/log/
/usr/local/psa/var/log/

and the domain logs

~/vhosts/domain.tld/statistics/logs

Sorry, I don't have any further specifics on either of your current issues.

Thanks for the tip shadowman. After installing the plesk update again using the rpms, everything works well again!

The problem is that /opt/psa/admin/sbin/wrapper is not setuid. Restoring the setuid bit resolves these problems.

Back