• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

The mail system [email protected]: conversation with mail.xxx.com [XX.XX.XX.XX] timed out

J

joseluisrt

Hi,

I am using psa v8.0.1_build80061018.17 os_FedoraCore 4.

When somebody tries to send an email to my server they get this error:

> =========================================================
> This is the mail system at host hl03.dinaserver.com.
> #################################################################### #
> THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
> #################################################################### Your
> message could not be delivered for more than 4 hour(s). It will be
> retried until it is 5 day(s) old. For further assistance, please send
> mail to postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You
> can delete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail
> system <[email protected]>: conversation with mail.myserver.com[xx.xx.xx.xx] timed
> out while receiving the initial server greeting Reporting-MTA: dns;
> hl03.dinaserver.com X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 0FAB1580BA0 X-Postfix-Sender:
> rfc822; [email protected] Arrival-Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:56:39 +0100
> (CET) Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected] Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
> Action: delayed Status: 4.4.2 Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; conversation
> with mail.myserver.com[xx.xx.xx.xx] timed out while receiving the initial
> server greeting Will-Retry-Until: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:56:39 +0100 (CET)
> =========================================================

I know the communication between both servers is ok (checked it with ping) and that my server is able to receive mails from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.

I was using SPF and MAPS spam protection but disabling it, the sender has the same problems. I have added the IP of the senderserver to the white list servers in the mail configuration of my server but the problem is still there.

Can anyone help me? Is there same log where I can check if the server is refusing some mails? I looked at /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog but I can't find there any clue.

Lots of thanks in advance

Is it possible to connect to port 25 of your mailserver from sender's IP with telnet, for example?
If it is possible, sender can try to send test mail via telnet connection to port 25. You can nonitor maillog with something like:

# tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog | grep -A 2 -B 2 '[email protected]'

And try to find some errors or something else useful in log.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer IgorG.

I have sent another mail from the sender and monitor the log /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog but the log shows absolutely nothing about this. Is there another log where I can look at?

If I send mails form any other sender (gmail, hotmail, etc), everything goes quick and fine.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you very much.

All attempts for sending messages to your mail server should be registered in /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog log file. If mail was rejected, not delivered, etc. for some reason it will be logged in this file. So, if you haven't any mentions in this log file about incoming message from known address, I can assume only that this message was not sent from source mail server for some reason. When you connect to your mailserver directly via telnet, for example, and try to send message from this address, it will be reflected in log file obligatory. Try it.

Back