1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Update PHP

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by ecja, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ecja

ecja Guest

Hello, it is the time to update the PHP but I have never update PHP on a Plesk before.
    Can any one help?
    Jc

2. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

Sure, what distribution are you using?

3. ecja

ecja Guest

Update PHP on Plesk 8.3 Fedora 5

4. atomicturtle

5. unika

unika Guest

Plesk don't provide own PHP packages with Plesk, OS vendor packages are used. That's why you have an opportunity to upgrade your php version and add an additional extensions as you wish.

Plesk itself runs independently of server's PHP version. Latest Plesk version runs on PHP5. Therefore, if you can install PHP on Fedora, it will be fine with Plesk.
    You simply download all needed PHP5 rpm packages and install them. One thing is you might also need this package to get rid of some dependencies error:

psa-phpx-configurator-xxx.noarch.rpm

It was compiled by Plesk developers. You can finв the package in the standart Plesk distributive.

6. anjanesh

anjanesh Guest

Is there any tutorial available on how a non-sys-admin can safely update their PHP and MySQL versions ?
    I want to try to update from PHP 5.2.4 to PHP 5.2.5 & MySQL 5.0.45 to MySQL 5.0.51.

But very soon, I would want to update to PHP 5.3 & MySQL 5.1.

7. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

8. anjanesh

anjanesh Guest

Oh...sorry - Im on Fedora Core 7

9. atomicturtle

Ive got PHP 5.2.5 and Mysql 5.0.54 packages in my archive for Fedora 7. Be advised that there are some behavior changes in PHP 5.2.5 that you need to be aware of if you make use of php_admin_value. There are several threads here, and on my forums about it.

10. anjanesh

anjanesh Guest

Ive got PHP 5.2.5 and Mysql 5.0.54 packages in my archive for Fedora 7.
    I dont understand - shouldn't I be downloading the .tar.gz file from php.net and compile it from there ?

11. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

If you want to build your own packages you can download the .tar.gz, write a .spec file, build an .rpm, etc. But Scott has already done all the work for you. If you don't really need the features available in newer version, I recommend sticking with the packages supplied by the Fedora Project as they have all the security patches and are probably better tested.

I keep linking to this article to explain people you usually don't need the latest upstream version: http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/

12. anjanesh

anjanesh Guest

If you don't really need the features available in newer version, I recommend sticking with the packages supplied by the Fedora Project True, right now.

But I want to desperately update it to PHP 5.3 & MySQL 5.1.x as soon as they get released as GA. I am just trying to figure out how to update so that when I need to update to the above versions, I shoud be able to do so.

13. breun

breun Golden Pleskian

You'll need to install RPM packages. I believe the RPM packages that MySQL provides don't work correctly on Fedora or Red Hat/CentOS. Distributions generally don't do version upgrades during the lifetime of a release, so Fedora probably won't release PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.1 for Fedora 7. Either you need to create these packages yourself or wait for a third party repository (like Atomic Rocket Turtle) to make them available.

Why are you so desperate to upgrade to bleeding edge versions of PHP and MySQL?

14. atomicturtle

On the subject of Mysql 5.1, I ran into a problem with a plesk update failing on a C4 box the other day. Havent tried that on an F7 box yet, so definitely let us know when you try it.

15. anjanesh

anjanesh Guest

Distributions generally don't do version upgrades during the lifetime of a release, so Fedora probably won't release PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.1 for Fedora 7
    Thats terrible news !

Either you need to create these packages yourself or wait for a third party repository (like Atomic Rocket Turtle) to make them available.
    I'll probably wait for the ART script to avoid troubleshooting issues on a production server.

Why are you so desperate to upgrade to bleeding edge versions of PHP and MySQL?
    I just found out that most of PHP 6's features are going to be available in PHP 5.3 such as namespaces & late static binding, both of which are very much needed for new development. MySQL 5.1 for partioning, XML and Event scheduler.

16. ecja

ecja Guest

Thank you, am going to try it

Jc