• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

update plesk 7.5.4 to 8.0.1. do you recommend it?

jnarvaez

Basic Pleskian
I'm running a box with fc3 and plesk 7.5.4 with about 300 domains, do you recommend me update to 8.0.1?

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

In a word: no.

Your best bet is to get a second box that's running 8.0.1 and migrate off. I did that and it worked relatively well. Only had a couple of minor bumps. Then rekick your server and do a fresh 8.0.1 install and migrate back.

oh, i think i will spend lot of time doing that, and money too

i think i will stay with 7.5.4, thanks for your help

best regards

Don't have to spend a ton of money. I know a guy who rents servers by the day with Plesk preloaded. And I've heard SWSoft will give you temporary keys if you want to set up your own server as a temp.

definetly ... absolutely ... order a new server with an up-to-date OS and Plesk 8.0.1 and use the migration manager to move everything over.

it'll only take you one night if you do it effeciently.

i recently completed a smililar migration and only had a few minor problems, which i quickly figured out.

if i can make one recommendation its this:

migrate 3 or 4 different domains, 1 at a time, to diagnose any issues before you try and migrate all of them. doing this allowed me to correct an issue that was stopping my databases from being transfered. If I didn't take the time to do it, I would have had to fix 300+ databases manually. once you get those 3 or 4 domains to migrate without any error messages, then go ahead and do the migration.

hope this helps ...

Luke

thank for your help guys,

i will consider it, btw, I'm thinking I could change the OS in the same migration, is it possible right? i have been reading FC3 is not the best option, what about RHEL or debian?

Originally posted by jnarvaez
thank for your help guys,

i will consider it, btw, I'm thinking I could change the OS in the same migration, is it possible right? i have been reading FC3 is not the best option, what about RHEL or debian?

Yes, this would be pretty much your only opportunity to do a clean OS install. I went with CentOS 4.2, as it was recommend by multiple people and it seems to have the longest development cycle out of the RH based platforms.

Basically you order a new server with the OS of your choice, then migrate all the domains over using PMM. So your OS doesn't get moved over, just your working files.

Luke

You got it guys, I think i'm going to do it that way.

The best bet would be to do everything in a night, the new server with fresh plesk 8 install won't be a problem, the problem i can encounter is how to reinstall a fresh install in my old server inmediatily because this task has to be made by my datacenter, no?

Thanks for your help.

You got it guys, I think i'm going to do it that way.

The best bet would be to do everything in a night, the new server with fresh plesk 8 install won't be a problem, the problem i can encounter is how to reinstall a fresh install in my old server inmediatily because this task has to be made by my datacenter, no?

Thanks for your help.

I would recommend the following, assuming you'd start on the first of the month:

1: Order new server

2-6: Receive and test new server (add/edit/delete a couple of domains, check configs, etc, make sure the server is setup and running exactly how you need it)

7: Ask your host to upgrade both servers network connections to 100Mbps (just incase it already isn't, if you try and transfer 300 domains at 1.5Mbps or even 3.0Mbps it'll take hours and hours)

8-9: Do a few test migrations (one or two domains at a time, like I said) and work out any migration bugs you run into (one thing I ran into was my MySQL admin password was too 'complicated' or something and the databases wouldn't transfer over. So I set the password to "setup" and everything went smooth regarding MySQL. I ran into a couple other small errors (ApacheASP not installed, web users not configured, etc) and cleared them up during this time.).

10: Confirm with your Data Center that they'll have all the staff on hand 'tomorrow night' to assist you in your transfer if its needed. They'll also need to be there to move your IPs over if thats the way your doing it.

11: Around 2:00 AM or so go ahead and do your migration. Take 15/20 minutes to go through your domains once the migration is done and double check the settings. Also, make sure you run the "pre-propigation previews" in Plesk on a few and check things out that way. Once your sure everything is good, ask your DC to move your IPs over and re-configure your hosting and DNS for each domain (pain in the butt, but must be done).

12-20: Keep your old server!!!! DO NOT have the Data Center wipe the old machine until the new server has proven itself and you are confident the migration was a complete success.

That pretty much sums up how I went about my migration to a new box ... I hope this helps you.

Good luck!

Luke Pittman
www.catch22media.com

I'm running a box with fc3 and plesk 7.5.4 with about 300 domains, do you recommend me update to 8.0.1?

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

wait until 2 or 3 more minor releases

i went on with 8.0.1 because of the remote db feature, other than this there is no point...

- the qmail queue manager is a really limited thing
- the new watchdog is not really worth it too

DOne it here on several servers, we did not encounter any problems.

hello,

i have now plesk 7.5.4 on my system debian.
What is better to do, first to upgrade to Plesk 8.0.0 and than to Plesk 8.0.1?

thanks for your answers

Hi again, i've been very busy these days, but now i'm going to migrate to 8.0.1 the way you recommend it, with a new box with fresh install, i'm testing some migrations to the new box and i'm having this problem:

An error occured during mailname creation: Unable to update the mail name properties:
The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail name as its part.
Only Latin characters, no dictionary words (optional).

is it possible to overide this check?
best regards

i went on with 8.0.1 because of the remote db feature, other than this there is no point...
What feature is this? Remote connection to MySQL - the same that can be accomplished by commenting out "skip-networking" in /etc/my.cnf?

<--- didn't RTFM

Originally posted by dw604
What feature is this? Remote connection to MySQL - the same that can be accomplished by commenting out "skip-networking" in /etc/my.cnf?

<--- didn't RTFM

i think you get a funny icon in plesk interface to manage remote dbs ;)

Back