1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Updates for Linux

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by Datastreet, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Datastreet

Datastreet Guest

I just installed a new Plesk server on RHEL4. I ran up2date and it says it has updates.

Some of the updates are components of Plesk. httpd, mysql and php to name a few.

Is it OK to run these updates or will they interfere with the plesk installation. I am concerned that running some of these updates might damage the plesk installation.

What should I do?

Should I disable up2date?

Thanks
    Omar

2. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Silver Pleskian

57%
    Yeah, you have to be real careful in what you update. PHP 5 for example is a bad thing with Plesk. Visit the Turtle's site:

http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com

His yum project is invaluable for updating Plesk servers. And he has rpms for Spamassassin, ClamAV and qmail-scanner for Plesk.

3. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

Its safe (and highly recommended) to update your system from the vendors channels, especially with CentOS/RHEL, they use a very conservative OS design that minimize operational changes in the system.

4. Datastreet

Datastreet Guest

So if I have RHEL 4, I can just run up2date -u without worrying about damaging Plesk. I see it has PHP but not 5.0.

Thanks
    Omar

5. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

That is correct. The only redhat based distro that has PHP 5.0 natively is Fedora Core 4, which is not at this time compatible with PSA.

6. Datastreet

Datastreet Guest

Thank you very much for your help!

Omar