1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade mysql on FreeBSD

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by MicroSun, May 8, 2005.

1. MicroSun

MicroSun Guest

Hello,

I use Plesk 7.5 on a FreeBSD 5.3. There are mysql and bind installed on the server but the pkg_info and pkg_version doesn't list them. The ps command shows that mysqld and named are runing. How can I make a normal portupgrade for mysql and bind in this case?

Thanks!

2. kake26

kake26 Guest

Hi,
    You can't since its not a port. I've tried many times the only way to do it is to manually replace the files with newer ones or upgrade plesk.

3. MicroSun

MicroSun Guest

Does it mean that using Plesk I just always have an out of date system? Plesk hide not only mysql and bind but ftp and mailservers too.
    As I see mysql, bind, ftp, mail updates come out more recently as Plesk. The manual hacking seems not a nice sollution for me. Or everybody update the system in this way?

Is there no other possibility to keep my system up to date?

4. kake26

kake26 Guest

Hi,
    Yes, sorry to say it but manual is the only way to do it aside from installing a upgraded version of plesk. Please also note that I have done this for PHP and my mod_perl as well as my servers perl install. It does work, but I've discovered that when plesk adds itself to the FreeBSD package database and I try to do a portupgrade, it whines bitterly about the Plesk entry and fails. I've not figured out though if theree is a switch or something that can make portupgrade ignore that and move on. My other server was setup by hand using ports alone. Very easy to maintain at that point, but I loose the benefits of Plesk's gui interface for clients, thus I've decided to try and build a more ports friendly plesk like clone, that won't give problems with portupgrade or using any standard port. Oh, and if you think hand upgrading is bad I should tell you that Plesk uses no standard paths for stuff so, upgrading a componet or two can take some doing and might end up breaking thus test first.