• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade: RH 9.0 to FC4 & PSA 7.54 to 8.0

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
Anyone recently go from red hat 9.0 to FC4 while also having to upgrade PSA from 7.5.4 to the new 8.0?

Anyone try upgrading their RH9.0 to FC4, then upgrade PSA? If not, guess I have to upgrade everything. I've not done the command line backup for a while but if I recall;

-backup current server and this time, create IP map file. Can't recall the exact line or if I need anything else... client map?

-build new RH9.0 server, install same PSA version using auto-install. copy backup from current server to this new (temp) server and restore backup. If all went well, use temp key from Plesk to keep services up and running temporarily.

-upgrade temp RH9.0 server from 7.5.4 to 8.0, then backup whole site.

-rebuild old RH9.0 server to new new FC4 server. install PSA 8.0 using auto-installer. copy backup from newly upgraded PSA to this server, which will become production again. restore backup and if all goes right, I'm done and we're back up.

Request final key from Plesk, hope they do it ASAP and and??? Come on now, I'm forgetting something real important right? Like, counting on things not working out as easy as I've typed it? Or FC4 needing key components which I just didn't notice when building it... something?

Mike

One slight glitch there -- you can't put Plesk 8 on RH9 because there's no support for it.

So backup on 7.5.4. Upgrade to FC4. Install 7.5.4. Restore. Upgrade to 8.

But obviously you'll need somewhere safe and quickly accessible to put your backup when you are doing this.

In another thread there was the suggestion to install Xen or VMWare server on the existing OS (both are free), install FC4 (or Centos or whatever) in the VM, then go from there. This will mean the base machine will always be RH9, but that's not a huge problem. Nothing wrong with RH9. And if you get a new machine, you can just transfer the entrire VM to it, with no nasty reconfigs/re-installs.

Faris.

>One slight glitch there -- you can't put Plesk 8 on RH9 because >there's no support for it.

Oops, yes, of course :). I wonder if anyone's simply upgraded their OS from RH9.0 to FC4? Can it be done safely? I've built countless RH servers but I've never once upgraded one.

If I could do that, then I could stop PSA services, upgrade the OS. Fire that up, upgrade PSA, then fire that up? Could it be that simple?

Mike

Originally posted by mparadis
>One slight glitch there -- you can't put Plesk 8 on RH9 because >there's no support for it.

If I could get past this error, I might get somewhere :).
Any thoughts, anyone? I've not found anything on this here or on the net.

//
There is the kernel-provides package in install list:
kernel-2.6.16-1.2069_FC4.i686
Do you want to install new system kernel (required reboot after installation)?

Yes) for agree; N) No
Select answer [N]: Yes
Get Plesk product packages.
Get system update packages.
Start packages installation
ERROR: Error: there not only packages provides kernel
ERROR: Installation failed
[root@i79 shared]#
//

Mike

sorry if this is off target topic, but where would you download plesk 7.5.4 for FC4? i don't see that on Plesk's site for PSA Reload 7.5.4. i do see FC3, but no FC4.

my server crashed (hw failure) last nov 21 while running RH9/7.0.4 and the machine was rebuilt with RH9 on PSA 6.02 with the ghost restore from 2 years previous and i was told by my HSP that."we can't support anything but what you originally signed up for" ugh., here it comes ... "unless you buy a new plan @4x what you signed up for with less bandwidth allocated" ewww, brocoli stew? no thanks, no profit.

so i'm setting another box to house FC4/PSA7.5.4. i'm mindful that updates on production boxes are not always fruiitful and i don't want to hose my customers soooooo. any advice other than be safe not sorry?

my plan thus far...to me manual migration of clients, domains, users, email, content, mysql-db seems the safest. we've had no luck with any migration tools from sw-soft yet in test cases.

getting account passwds correct on target machine seems to be the only sticky point. i plan on using mysql from prompt to spill the client passwords, which, btw are stored in clear-text in the PSA database...that don't seem right either.

Back