• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrading applications in Plesk

C

cttt

I am new to Plesk and like what I see so far. I was wondering if there is an integrated method to upgrade installed applications, from the application vault, on client's sites.

For instance, I just installed Plesk 8.2.1 and setup a domain with a WordPress installation. The WordPress install is 2.0 which is pretty old. Is there a method, that comes with Plesk, to upgrade this installation to the current stable version of WordPress 2.3.1?

current application vault implementation does not support upgrade of applications which are already installed onto domain...

swsoft promises that in the future it will be possible and when available applications in vault/pool are updated, you will also be able to update installed applications..

that's all i know..

I'm shocked to read this:mad:

So we are stuck with outdated versions of scripts in our application vault?

Is there any way to manually upgrade them?

no, app vault is just a pool of applications (application templates), from this pool you can install application wherever you need, to any domain, any folder. and applications in vault/pool are regularly updated by swsoft.

but when you install an application from the vault onto domain - this installed application is not updated..

example:

you have 'myapp' application v1.0 in the vault. you install this application into http://domain.com/myapp...

a month later you upgrade plesk, update for 'myapp' application is also available and after upgrade you have fresh 'myapp' v2.0 in the vault

however 'myapp' already installed into http://domain.com/myapp remains v1.0..

Its a hard problem to solve in this context. On the one hand the package management system that the app vault uses is very simple, and it doesn't maintain state of the files in use once they are installed. Its just dumping the files over in a tar. The other side of this is that because state isn't maintained, you run the risk of wiping out customizations to previous versions of the app.

Ok... So SWSoft does update the application in the pool used by the Application Vault? If this is true, how often? I notice they are still using Joomla 1.0.12, when J 1.0.13 has been out at least 4 months.

when regular (sub)version of plesk is released (8.1 -> 8.1.1 -> 8.2 -> 8.2.1 -> 8.3?). swsoft does not release separate updates of components, all updates come together with product update

Thanks, but I'm still unclear... When can I expect the scripts in the aplication vault to be updated?

it is interesting question, but i have no idea.. imho you chose wrong place to ask it, contact swsoft info@ or support

Thanks, I'll try that, but I have run out of my 30 days free email support:mad:

Originally posted by floatingworld
Thanks, but I'm still unclear... When can I expect the scripts in the aplication vault to be updated?

Hi,
I have plesk 8.2 on a VPS server & the way I was able to install later versions of Joomla etc was to do a manual Install.
I'm soon getting my own dedicated server & tossing up between Plesk & cPanel as they both have good & bad points.
Good luck

Thanks Aushops,

Would you be willing to outline the steps involved in a manual install? Is there a "how to guide" somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks, I am unable to open that link for some reason. To be clear, what I need to knoe is how to install new versions of Joomla into the Plesk Application pool not how to manually install Joomla into an account.

I would like the answer to this question too. Does anyone know?

David

Joomla and Plesk

As far as I know you have to install Joomla by hand unless the applications have changed in Plesk 3.3 along with the new applications in application vault. yes it is a pain but if you keep a fully unzipped copy on your (work) computer and then upload it to your server in the directory you want it loads rather quickly

Chris

I am kind of new to the windows hosting in general and Plesk specific. Years and years experience with linux(centos) and DirectAdmin and am using installatron for my customers...

A cron updates installatron every night... so all recent versions of joomla and other scripts are available to my customers, also for update.

I am realy shocked to see that the much more expensive Plesk is not updating the web apps... and even more that customers cannot update there installed apps...

Back