• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Urgent: Need help with postfix mail delivery for local domains on external servers

M

mirage

It appears that any email entered on a webform, send to a user in that domain is in fact bounced and send to the bouce address.

In the CP, I have mail hosting disabled for these domains. But for some reason, the postfix configurations appears to consider these domains local and attempts to deliver mail on the same machine. Ergo, the mail fails and messages are bounced to the admin.

Question:
How do I get postfix to deliver mail for local domains which is hosted externally?

Thanks J

Thanks - but as I mentioned - I do have email turned off for these domains.

The fix was this (although it feels wrong to me):

While I had email turned off, I had set the catchall address. Switch that to reject, caused the messages to be delivered. Seems wrong.

I'd say that with email hosting turned 'on' + a catchall address should attempt to deliver to catchall or bounce. With email hosting turned off, nothing should be checked locally and all delivery handling should be deferred to the remote server identified by the MX's.

Cheers,
j

In case of mail service for domain is switched off the domain name should not persists in your virtual_domains
You can check it with postmap -s /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual_domains or postmap -s /var/lib/plesk/mail/postfix/virtual_domains depending on your OS. (see /etc/postfix/main.cf for exactly path)

If the domain name persists in virtual_domains, then postfix will treat it as "local"

In case of mail service for domain is switched off the domain name should not persists in your virtual_domains
You can check it with postmap -s /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual_domains or postmap -s /var/lib/plesk/mail/postfix/virtual_domains depending on your OS. (see /etc/postfix/main.cf for exactly path)

If the domain name persists in virtual_domains, then postfix will treat it as "local"

Hi,

Ok, and how to remove the domain from there in that case? The service is switched off and domain still in postmap!

Thanks.

Can't you just edit the file in question manually and remove the domains if needed from the file?

Back