• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Using my server to filter Spam using Spamassassin

A

AndyC

How do I use my plesk server as a middleman between my current mailserver and the outside world? I want my plesk server to take emails from the outside world run them through spam assassin then forward them all on to my office's mailserver for final delivery. Spam assassin is on my control panel in plesk so I assume it is up and running, there's just no email pointed towards my plesk server currently.

Just to make sure

Thanks for your post but just to clarify before I do anything...

1.I need to remove psa spam assassin.

How do I do this and will that mean I can't change spam assassin settings from the control panel?

2. Install qmail scanner. Again do I just install this...ehat is involved. Sorry I am totally new to plesk and qmail and spam assassin.

3. Then I chane the rcpthosts and smtproutes files. Will this then simply start working? What things do I need to start up etc...thanks for the help I realy appreciate it...Andy

You can remove it with yum, or rpm (yum remove psa-spamassassin). Yes once psa-spamassassin is removed, there is no interface in psa to configure spamassassin. There is however a way to configure it through horde or squirrelmail. I put together a squirrelmail rpm to do this a few years ago, which is currently in the archive.

Once you've got yum configured, you just run yum install qmail-scanner (drweb will also need to be removed, pardon me for leaving that out).

The docs on the Project Gamera page will mostly apply to a psa server in this configuration, nothing needs to be restarted, as the smtproutes and rcpthosts files are read each time a message is recieved. All changes are immediate.

Ok sounds good thanks, one more thing...I don't seem to have an smtproutes file...should I just create it? or does this mean somethings up?

Really appreciating your help

Ok, I'm all set to start my install, in the words of Columbo "just one question"...(until it all goes wrong!)...How do I apply the qmailqueue patch...I have downloaded it. Where does the actual patch begin in the txt doc...where do I put it on my server and what do I type to run it?

Does it start with diff - u qmail...?

Do I put it in /var/qmail?

Is it just patch qmailqueue-patch to run it?

Even if you do get it into qmail, you'll have to also set the system up to use tcpserver. The shortcut I used in the qmail-scanner rpm was to put a wrapper around the qmail-queue binary.

Back