• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Using Plesk as secondary DNS server for domain xyz.com?

J

jerry2

Hi there

I have a Plesk server and I would like to use it's IP as primary dns server for primary domain xyz.com. This works. Then I have another Plesk server and I want to configure the xyz.com secondary DNS to be from that other domain....

But it doesn't work. Of course on the other Plesk server I need to say somehow to replicate the DNS entries from first server.

How can I say Plesk to be a secondary server for one domain?

Jerry

Plesk does support such feature. To switch DNS for a domain you need just go to
Plesk > domains > domain.com > DNS > click on switch (to slave)
Enter master DNS IP address.
Configure transfer restrictions on primary DNS server.

Thank you. I found out that yesterday, but does it means I am "using" on both Plesk computers the domains? On one I have only 10 domains licence. But secondary DNS entry is counted like a domain, yes? I mean I have to open a domain for it anyway? Although it doesn't have hosting and will have no primary DNS there just secondary?

Yours

Jerry

PS - Just another question. If my primary DNS server goes down, can I switch secondary DNS servr with Plesk so I make it primary? In that way my zones show up as they were taken from the primary before it "died"? Or I have to enter all the A, MX, NS by hand then???

Yes you can Plesk restore dns records from its database

John S.G.

So I just switch from secondary to primary and my DNS records will show as they were on primary?

Jerry

I find another problem... If I make my site domain.com a secondary DNS on my server, Plesk automatially makes a PostOffice that has no mailbox defined. But this is bad as I don't use the domain on this server just use secondy DNS function... Problem is when I want to send something to any email on this domain.com it is refused by mail enable with the error 550 that the mail is not local...

Should I delete by hand every Post office for host that I am usng only secondary DNS but no Hosting? Or is there any other way to set this? Like using redirect or virtual hosting option?

Yours

Jerry

Back