• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Using Plesk behind Cisco PIX 501 firewall

W

warehousemedia

Hello,
I have read several other threads on this site about using Plesk behind a firewall, and have followed the details exactly (or so I believe) but still cannot get sites to operate correctly.

Here is what I have done:
I have a IP for my server. (lets call it 1.2.3.4)
I have configured the firewall to translate incoming for this IP to 10.0.0.2. (i also configured the outgoing vice versa).

In Plesk, I setup 10.0.0.2 as a server ip address, shared.

I created a new domain name and have it set as physical hosting on the ip address 10.0.0.2. I went into the DNS for the domain and set the A records to the "external" ip address (1.2.3.4).

Attempts to load the domain fail (can't even get the plesk default page to come up). I should note that I have also tried setting the A records for the address of the firewall as well with no results.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

For now if you are using Plesk behind the firewall , you can only use another DNS server and manually maintain DNS records, Plesk for LInux implemented this feature, but in Plesk for Windows it is still in development.

John S.G.

Have you tried using tools at dnsstuff.com to see if there is any problem with your DNS settings?

Note that the PIX will not allow connection from inside interface back to outside interface, that is a security feature. so if you are trying to browse your website from the inside interface using the public IP 1.2.3.4 you wont be able to. The only way around this is to create an A record that translates the website to the private address on your internal DNS server if you have one, if you dont you will have to create it in your lmhost file.

I have my Plesk behind a PIX firewall and it works just fine

Thanks for the replies. I implemented your tip and now I get the default plesk page (after several minutes, very slow loading.

So, I ftp'd the site up through the IP address and deleted the Plesk default index.html file. The sites default page is index.asp. When I go to the domain in my browser, the index.asp file never loads - again, though, the Plesk default page loads!

However, if I manually go to domain.com/index.asp, it loads fine (and very quickly, no delay).

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? I greatly appreciate the help.

Problem resolved. restarting the server took care of it.... go ahead, call me stupid :) Thanks for everyones help.

warehousemedia
the default plesk page will load slow cause you probably are blocking the port 8800 that is required for the script s to run like the news feed on th eplesk default domain page. Just create your own holding page with no news feed on it or just modify the current holding page and it will load fast. Or jus edit your firewall to allow 8880. My sugesstion modify the holding page.

Hello,
Plesk doesn't support working behind NAT.
You need a firewall which have the transparent feature. (For example Fortigate)
Which means that you need to work with real IP and not with internal network IP.
The IP outside the network need to be the same as the IP which configured on the server side.

Ilan, Pleak is working behind firewall the only problem with Plesk for Windows (in Linux it is solved) DNS server management

John S.G.

Back