• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

/var/qmail/control/me does not contain full host name

hgmichna

Basic Pleskian
The host name of my server is india155.server4you.de, but the file /var/qmail/control/me contains only the incomplete name: india155

This leads to certain other mail servers rejecting all my outgoing mail because of an improper HELO, because they sensibly check the name against DNS and IP address.

Wrong: HELO india155
Right: HELO india155.server4you.de

I keep checking and correcting this since time immortal, but Plesk keeps replacing the file with the wrong one over several versions already. I thought that this is a too idiotic error to report, because everybody must stumble over this, but apparently ignorance has no limit.

Just in case anybody wonders: Yes, I have put the full host name into the "Full hostname" field.

Does anybody know a workaround short of creating a cron job that overwrites the file every couple of minutes?

Have you thought about just editing the /var/qmail/control/me file and putting the whole name in there?

My apologies, I misread your post, thinking that you were continually changing it through the control panel. I have not seen this error on any of my servers.

Have you tried checking with the hostname command?

Additionally, what does your /etc/hosts file show?

just some suggestions.... sometimes the hostname and /etc/hosts file get corrupted or contain some extraneous information.

hosts looks a bit strange.

Have you tried checking with the hostname command?

Just tried, it yields the wrong, abbreviated name india155, rather than the correct, full name india155.server4you.de .

hostname --fqdn yields the correct, full name though. That's after I corrected (I hope) the hosts file; didn't check before.

Additionally, what does your /etc/hosts file show?

just some suggestions.... sometimes the hostname and /etc/hosts file get corrupted or contain some extraneous information.

Here's the complete content:

----- /etc/hosts begin -----
#
# hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
# On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
# "named" name server.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
85.25.149.191 india155.server4you.de india155 india155.server4you.de
----- /etc/hosts end -----

The last line looks odd to me, as if two lines have been pulled into one.

Plesk appears to have a whole bunch of severe defects.

Hans-Georg

Edit /var/qmail/control/me

I have this bug after upgrade, How can I solved this?
I mentioned it already in the first message---edit the file /var/qmail/control/me and put the complete server host name there.

The problem is that, in my case, it has happened several times already, apparently during every Plesk upgrade.

It is conceivable that the short name is actually correct and the error lies elsewhere, but I cannot know. At least I got Qmail to run properly again by editing the me file.

If anybody knows more about this, please chime in. I'm not a Linux expert, and I particularly don't know much about Qmail.

Hans-Georg

hosts was essentially correct.

I'd try changing that line in /etc/hosts to just this:

Thanks! Done. Changed it to:

85.25.149.191 india155.server4you.de india155

However, that's essentially what it was, apart from a superfluous, but not harmful duplicate alias.

My conclusion is that the hosts file was not the problem. The /var/qmail/control/me file was wrong and needed to be corrected, in fact needs to be corrected every time the defective Plesk clobbers it.

My patience with Plesk has run out. Too many defects to be acceptable. I'm sticking to this terrible product only because I know no better alternative.

Hans-Georg

I guess the duplicate entry should be harmless, but maybe it was a problem for Plesk anyway. I don't know if it'll fix your problem, but at least it shouldn't hurt to remove the duplicate hostname entry.

Problem for Plesk? Problem created by Plesk.

I guess the duplicate entry should be harmless, but maybe it was a problem for Plesk anyway. I don't know if it'll fix your problem, but at least it shouldn't hurt to remove the duplicate hostname entry.

Have done that already. But "maybe it was a problem for Plesk" sounds very funny in my ears. It was a problem caused by Plesk, and my best guess is that Plesk will clobber the hosts file again when it is next upgraded, just as it keeps clobbering the /var/qmail/control/me file.

No, I think breun meant that because the hosts file was a little odd, Plesk might have choked on it (or rather on the output of the hostname command).

At some point in the dim and distant past it might have been Plesk that screwed up the hosts file in the first place, but I suspect that now you have it fixed all will (hopefully) be well on that front. We've upgraded an untold number of times on several systems and have never seen this particular problem. I've also changed hostnames via the plesk control panel a few times and the hosts file has not, so far, been munged.

Faris.

Happy New Year

No, I think breun meant that because the hosts file was a little odd, Plesk might have choked on it (or rather on the output of the hostname command).

At some point in the dim and distant past it might have been Plesk that screwed up the hosts file in the first place, but I suspect that now you have it fixed all will (hopefully) be well on that front. We've upgraded an untold number of times on several systems and have never seen this particular problem. I've also changed hostnames via the plesk control panel a few times and the hosts file has not, so far, been munged.

There is always hope. Perhaps I should change the host name around a bit. :)-)

7 hours left in the year on this side of the planet. Time for a good dinner. See you around next year.

Hans-Georg

Back