• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

vhost without hostheaders

M

mrvandalen

Hello,

I've recently started using my dedicated server and I'm experiencing some trouble with setting up a vhost without hostheaders (my hosting company told me to set this up).

Right now when a visitor types in a subdomain that doesn't exist they get forwareded to a default domain (my website). I don't want this to happen, I want to forward them to a standard oops page or something. I host several websites and people have asked me why I send visitors to my own site when their visitors type in nonexistingsubdomein.domain.com.

Can someone explain me how to make this work?

Thanks

PS. Should I do something specific with my DNS settings?

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I placed the topic in the correct section?

you probably have dns pointing to your server, and without hostheader you will see the default web site. Make sure you have not chosen a default site for the ip.

I've looked up how to change a default domain, but I cannot alter this setting. I get my default domain set in plain text and not in an input field.

When logged in as administrator I go to:
1. Server
2. IP addresses
3. IP address (on the overview I select my only ip address)
4. I can see my default domain in plain text (not in an inputfield)

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks!

you set default by clicking on the number of hosted domains in the ip list, not on the ip itself ;) try see if you can choose none there

Could it have something to do with my DNS settings? When I try to reach my site with "mydomain.com" (without the www) I get a "The page cannot be displayed" page.

Could anyone shed some light on this. I need to get the default domain and mydomain.com thing working asap....

Thanks a million

mydomain.com does not work because you do not have a host header telling IIS where to look for the site.
You cannot vhost in IIS without host headers.

mydomain.com does not work because you do not have a host header telling IIS where to look for the site.
How can I get this to work then? Should I use PLesk or do I have to something manually on my server?

You cannot vhost in IIS without host headers.
So I'll never be able to avoid people typing in a wrong address to see my own site?

Back