• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Virus checker

J

jerry2

I new this a newbee question, but should I install an antivirus program on my server? I mean the one that we usually use at home? I use clamav but this is for email, not for my server as a client or how to say.

What do oyu guys use that does not consume too much resoures and that it is not $$$$$?

Jerry

ClamWin looks like it does it's job just fine... and it's free (open source).
Alternative we used before this one was NOD32 which we curently use on our local workstations... the reason we switched to ClamWin is cause it can be combined with mail server and scan incoming or outgoing e-mails which NOD32 can't.

ClamWin is resource demand , use AVG free version, if not on VPS

John S.G.

ClamWin - 15MB memory, 20MB hard drive
NOD32 - 15MB memory, 18MB hard drive

Hm. Yes, I installed Clam for Windows... It doesn't do real time monitor, but checking every day or two is I guess enough.

Problem is that it makes my CPU go almost to 100% :-( And it checks whole C drive an hour! Lot of time.

How do you incorporate Clam to check email? I have clamav for that, but that is another program without GUI, so this isn't same Clam. Can you use only one Clam? And same updates?

ClamWin is not real time scanner, it is working on demand , only real-time scanning for mail
AVG Free -realtime both on file access and mail

John S.G.

It does do it . Please check. I use it for my home test server. Also there are many examples.

John S.G.

Just got some viruses on my server and I'm evaluating solutions, i was using F-prot as emai scanner via mailenable AV Filter, and no File system scanner.

I'm considering dropping fprot and start using clamwin for emails and nod32 for file system.

I could also purchase Dr.Web for email scanning if you guys think it's really worth it.

any suggestions?

Hi Guys

Is ClamAV still the best AV product?

Running 7.6 for Windows.

Regards
Jacob

Originally posted by js1904
Hi Guys

Is ClamAV still the best AV product?

Running 7.6 for Windows.

Regards
Jacob

NO ClamAV is terrible...it runs your CPU at 100% Also...you DO NOT want an on access virus scanner on your server. Dont listen to people that tell you need virus protection on a server. Unless you are using this server to surf questionable websites. Otherwise there is zero need. The only AV you need is for your email.

Originally posted by Gris
Jerry

Of course you should

Of course you should not. There is no need whatsoever. How will your server get a virus? The only way is if you surf the internet with it or refuse to install windows updates.

Well, is good to have. I had seen a server get infected by virus through file sharing.

Originally posted by matija
ClamWin looks like it does it's job just fine... and it's free (open source).
Alternative we used before this one was NOD32 which we curently use on our local workstations... the reason we switched to ClamWin is cause it can be combined with mail server and scan incoming or outgoing e-mails which NOD32 can't.

Well... That's not exactly right. I have Plesk fow windows 8.1 and I wrote MTA pickup event program for scanning emails with NOD32 for MailEnable standard edition and it works great!!!

NOD32 is very effective antivirus program. Besides that it is very fast and also detects trojans, malware and spyware.

About clamWin I must say it is great because is freeware but it does not detect all the viruses and spyware.

Aris, www.slohost.net

Just got some viruses on my server and I'm evaluating solutions, i was using F-prot as emai scanner via mailenable AV Filter, and no File system scanner.

I'm considering dropping fprot and start using clamwin for emails and nod32 for file system.

I could also purchase Dr.Web for email scanning if you guys think it's really worth it. Any suggestions?

Why not go NOD32 for email scaning (also it can be with mailEnable standard - or buy pro or ent edition of MailEnable) and also NOD32 for realtime filescaning (only "inetpub" subfolders?!

Aris, www.slohost.net

Back