• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

VPN update on 7.5 failed on tun dependency

M

memdy

I'm not familiar with tun

Is this an RPM dependency, anyone install the VPN update on 7.5 and get this error ? I'm upgrading from 7.1.5

Preparing for packages installation...
----- begin of output -----
Installing /PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/modules/vpn/psa-vpn-1.0.0-rh9.build75041208.19.i586.rpm
===> Reading /etc/tomcat4/tomcat4.conf ...
===> Updating /etc/psa/psa.conf...
===> Reading /etc/psa/psa.conf ...
===> Checking database
===> Checking kernel support for TUN/TAP
modprobe: Can't locate module tun
The tun kernel module seems to be missing on your system.
Plesk VPN requires the tun module.
The installation cannot continue.
error: %pre(psa-vpn-1.0.0-rh9.build75041208.19) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping psa-vpn-1.0.0-rh9.build75041208.19

----- end of output -----
===> Autoinstaller: stopped logging at Fri Dec 10 23:20:01 2004

***** end of log file *****

1and1 dosnt support tun in kernel or module and on top of that if you upgrade your kernel you will hang yourself if you do not know what you are doing . in other words "broken server city" assuming you have a 1and1 server.
i may be able to take on a job for this if its critical .
uf you cannot manage to do this yourself .

good luck

Thanks for the update and it is a 1and1 box, but i currently have no requirement for building tunnels. Nor do I wish to brave a kernel upgrade remotely, although the 1and1 remote recovery tool is useful for this purpose.

I just wanted to make sure all the upgrades go smoothly for Plesk. This looks harmless at this point.

then it should.
if you are still scared on the fact . i offer my skills . contact me if you wish. i am always open for plesk work . i admin over 40 plesk stations .
i offer free help when i can , things over the prospect of free are handled in respect .
let me know .

david

Just wanted to let you guys know, another 1and1.com box here, same issue. Not a big problem, but excellent quick response.

is there a "keep it simple stupid" how to out there to upgrade my kernel on my rhel3 box?

regards,

boris

If you need a keep it simple tutorial, you don't need to be upgrading your kernel.

Originally posted by web-vision
is there a "keep it simple stupid" how to out there to upgrade my kernel on my rhel3 box?

regards,

boris

I have a RH9 box with 1and1 and managed somehow, (with the help of both 1and1 and Plesk) to get it upgraded to 7.5

I stupidly chose to upgrade the kernel. This went ok I guess.. I too had the problem with the tun moduel not installed. But it seems we had not done a re-boot since the upgrade and therefore it was not running the new kernel...does that sound about right?

Anyway, when we had re-booted the VPN module installed perfectly (obviously the tun module was in the new kernel.)

Things to watch out for:

The server will appear to run properly after the 7.5 upgrade, however if you try to shut down the named process it may not come back up... something gets corrupted in the named.conf file having to do with an rndc key

Also, upon reboot, your eth0 may not be configured properly (wont start the ethernet card) and this may require running kudzu? to restore the proper hardware settings.

Well thats at least what 1and1 and Plesk have told me so far about what went wrong

P.S. This may sound stupid, but has anyone connected from a remote location using VPN (or preferrably samba) and if so how?

Originally posted by web-vision
Having the same problem here at my RHEL3 box.

Just got done fixing this problem on my RHEL3 box myself. Redhat decided to split the kernel into two seperate rpms. If you track down the kernel-unsupported.<architecture>.rpm that matches your installed kernel the VPN portion of Plesk will install properly. I ended up having to upgrade my kernel at the same time since I couldnt find a matching kernel-unsupported rpm for my existing kernel. Make sure you reboot after installing/upgrading to get the kernel active.

I somehow wound up getting this kernel through a yum update kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2.i686

I have been unable to locate an "unsupported" version of the RPM

Can anyone help me get the correct kernel back?

:confused:

Back