• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Watchdog buggy or just setting adjustment

R

rvdmeer

Hi,

If i'm reading the forum threads nobody is positive about watchdog because it should include bugs. For so far the only error i experienced was that qmail didnt restart because the statement for the qmail restart in watchdog is:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --start-smtpd

This will only restart the mailmng. If you change this for example into "/etc/init.d/qmail restart" it would be fine right?

I'm asking this because i dont see any other bugs.

Regards,
Ronald

it would interest me too, i have the same excat problem.
and i am actually wondering what is taking sw-soft so long to fix this problem.
my users are getting kind of sick to have their mails not appear for hours (until i start qmail from the plesk panel again).

The last update included a watchdog fix where it affected Spamassassin, they are still working on fixing other bug(s). Most people just uninstall Watchdog to avoid problems.

Isn't it enough that it interfere's with Qmail? I would think that would be more than enough of a problem to warrant not using it until it's fixed properly.... (IMO)

yes indeed, i removed the watchdog module... wtf, it does just the contrary of what's supposed to do: keep the system up and running!
hal

Originally posted by rvdmeer
without the swearing, thanks for the information.
sorry, i was kind of upset...
i edited my post.
hal

Originally posted by rvdmeer
This will only restart the mailmng. If you change this for example into "/etc/init.d/qmail restart" it would be fine right?

I'm asking this because i dont see any other bugs.

Regards,
Ronald

As in my case qmail was stopping even without the watchdog, i reinstalled it and firstly changed the parameter as you said. Qmail got restarted and worked, but the watchdog still thought it was down.
I now changed the "start" command to this, i hope it works better next time:
/opt/psa/admin/bin/mailmng --start-smtpd && /etc/init.d/qmail restart
e.g. it should execute both commands, the one that makes qmail start and the one that makes the watchdog happy :p

Personally I had it installed and things seemed to be fine but my outgoing mail grinded and them about a week ago qmail stopped and I had to go in and restart it. I think uninstalled Watchdog and qmail works good and my outgoing email is fast again.

IC

So this is why I keep having to restart qmail. WTF? I turned off watchdog but only after I had customers complaining.

i uninstalled the watchdog, but qmail keeped stopping...
then i re-enabled the watchdog with another parameter (/etc/init.d/qmail restart for starting it up) and it worked... till tonight.

ANOTHER 15 HOURS DOWNTIME OF QMAIL!
SW-SOFT!!! YOU WON YOUR AWARD! [link]
NOW SHOW YOU DESERVE IT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT QMAIL !!!!!!!!!!!

Back