• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Web Edition

S

Sidewinder

Right now I just want to know if it is possable to install this software and it work properley with windows server 2003 web edition.

Ok my next question comes from an email i received from plesk support..

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web edition is a limited version of
Windows Server 2003. For example, "Organizations cannot use Windows
Server 2003, Web Edition, to deploy Microsoft SQL Server.

Does this mean i can not run a mysql server on my server using web edition?

MySQL and MS-SQL are very different - first one is open-source, second one is from Microsoft. All license limitations imposed by Microsoft may only concern Microsoft products. Of course you can run MySQL on Web Edition.

Windows 2003 Web Edition will not allow you to install MS-SQL on the Web Edition computer(Destop edition will install and work fine), it will kick you out every time. You either need the standard edition or above. MySQL is not a problem and runs fine on Web Edition as well as the other 2003 servers except SBS2003. Microsoft license only applies to Microsoft products as per the EULA. We tested the combo of Web Edition and MySQL and it worked fine without incident.

i was looking at the plesk demo for the client, for them to update their databases it uses phpmsadmin wich is ment for MS SQL. Does plesk intergrate with MySql and phpmyadmin?

Yes, Install the basic Windows 2003 server, then go to add windows programs and check the options in the applications server to make sure IIs is configured with proper options like FTP and SSI. After that is completed install Plesk. AFTER installing Plesk install MySQL for windows. Update the windows using windows update. Make sure you reboot after installing Plesk and the windows updates and MySQL. Then fo to admin panel using icon for Plesk on desktop. Enter default login and password. Create a client and then a domain. When you go to the domain you will see a database icon, click it and it gives you the option of creating either a MSSQL database or a MySQL Database. Create the MySQL database. Click on the database you created and you will see 2 icons, one creates a user for the database, the other is phpmyadmin. myPhpadmin is intagrated with Plesk for windows. I also updated the mail software but I am not sure you have to. You do that through the Mail icon on the programs menu in windows. Everything worked great when I did it that way except I still have not gotten mail relay to work.

Originally posted by jaytee
Yes, Plesk will install and run on Web edition.

Is it better to run Plesk on web edition?
Is plesk more stabile on this one?

The difference between Windows editions is in licensing. Does not matter for Plesk, generally, but Web edition is more restricted by Microsoft than Standard or Enterprise.

We did not see any difference in performance and the Web Edition is MUCH cheaper. Both run stable and install was very simple.

Cool

I try the web, to se if im lucky to get a more stabile plesk.

If you have "unstable" Plesk, whatever that means, I would check the hardware first. Plesk might have bugs like any software, but it is pretty stable.

We have never seen any stability problems, not sure what you mean. Just follow the install txt and make sure windows is set up correctly. I suspect your stabiltiy problem is in the OS install and not Plesk.

Originally posted by commsec
We have never seen any stability problems, not sure what you mean. Just follow the install txt and make sure windows is set up correctly. I suspect your stabiltiy problem is in the OS install and not Plesk.

Hey commsec
Cool you dont have problems, can you give me som data on domains, trafic, databes,server load and how many uses .net

I want to compare whit one of my servers..
I have read the install.txt, and and fallow it all the times.

And i can see im not the only one haveing problems whit this windows version.

I just hobe that plesk makes this version work for us all before makeing at new.
I fell it is the same as when I buy the 6.5, then I was hobing for the version 7 to come, and now it is the same. But this time im not buying the versin 8 if my 7 is not working.
But anyway please give som info about your servers.

Flyby, you never ever told us what is that "instability" you see in Plesk. So far, you are the only one who mentions it.

Have you tried to check your hardware/OS/configuration before you blame Plesk? If you have real problems, tell us about them, or contact support so they can investigate what is going on.

What problems do you have. Maybe if you post them some of us can help you resolve them. The more info on the problem the better a chance someone here can help you solve it. Our setup was for evaluation so the traffic was low. We created 5 domains and used them without any problems. We got up to about 50K hits a day in our testing without a hickup. Setting up the mail was not as easy. We allowed plesk to install the mail and then upgraded it to the current free version. Upgrade loaded overtop the original plesk install and resolved out smtp problems.

Flyby, you never ever told us what is that "instability" you see in Plesk. So far, you are the only one who mentions it.

Have you tried to check your hardware/OS/configuration before you blame Plesk? If you have real problems, tell us about them, or contact support so they can investigate what is going on.

Well
"If you have real problems" havnet you red what I write in this forum?

The first 3 times I install Plesk I dit not work (search this forum under FLYBY and se) , then plesk login into my server and fix it (30 day free support) but thay did not tell me what thay did to fix it, so I know next time i has to reinstall plesk I has to pay big$ for support.

Lately i got error whit application pool and ASp.net error.
Then you tell me that you(jaytee) knows that there is a problem.
Why dont plesk tell every one when you find new problems ?
Why dont you make some guidlines to follow?
like dont mix ASP and ASP.NET

It would be cool if you made some post when you find something is not right, insted of anwser the faq WHEN some one got the error.

"blame Plesk"- well I have problems and I can see that im not the only one...

I do not hate plesk, I just feel insecure whit the windows version.
My Plesk 5(unix) runs very fine (only small problems,i can live whit) and you know how old it is. Runs for 6 month whit out haveing to reboot. This is at stablie server!!!!
:)

"Real problems"...
Trust me, they do exist.
I've seen stats stopping their updates, an autoupdater that wants to "upgrade" 7.0.2 to 7.0.1 - if it initializes (which is a bit on/off), mysql-tables not being migrated in an update from 6.5 to 7, files being "forgotten" by the migrator in the backup-process and then causing it to fail during the restore afterwards etc etc. Then there are the good old "all stats being lost in an upgrade"-errors, the "not being able to send outbound mail"-things, a couple of times the admin-passwd suddenly stopped working, errors in the commandlineutils etc.
Then there's the .NET ****ups, but most of them can't be blamed on Plesk, after all.

All of the above has been reported to the support-dept.

I know that Plesk is an advanced product and all, and I still think it's one of the best out there. I also know it isn't possible to totally avoid errors in any product, but ... The errors ARE there, and if you guys don't acknowledge it, they will stay there.

/Tommy

Sorry that my statement sounded like I refuse to acknowledge an existence of _any_ problems in Plesk. What I was trying to say is that "stability problems in Plesk" is not a very meaningful problem description, we need more details.

Back