• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Webmail...?

N

NightStorm

Where the Hell did it go? Why have the installer install Horde, if it's going to delete the virtualhost entry for webmail.* and disable everyone's webmail accounts?

And why is it enabling global Safe Mode? I don't want global Safe Mode... it's screwed up half the scripts on my server. I have evendisabled it in the php.ini file, but it refuses to even recognise that it's disabled.
This whole update is a mess.

Yep - also have the same problem. Webmail is no longer accessable from anywhere.

This should fix the problem:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/websrvmng -a -v

Apparently the conf files get munged when it's upgraded and they need to be rebuilt.

Probably should do that after upgrading, even if you don't have any problems.

That did not work for me..

About the PHP Safe mode.. This is now an individual setting on every domain. You can enable and disable this in Hosting Setup

Oh, FFS. I have to go through EVERY domain on the server now and reconfigure their settings to dump the safe_mode, all because Plesk can't read the settings in the php.ini when it decides to update?
this is something I would ahve liked to know about in advance... I would have never wasted the time with the upgrade.

Have you ever heard of "Group Operations" ? You can take all domains in one click!

Yes, I've heard of group operations. My point is, why should I HAVE to do this when I already had safe_mode turned off globally in the php.ini file? Why did sw-soft take it upon themselves to decide that even though it's turned off there, I for some screwed reason want it turned back on for each domain?

This is another bloody case, yet again, of them making their users be the unwary beta testors of the software, while leading the impression that it's a stable release and that we should upgrade.

sw-soft... a hint for next time. Check the user's actual server preferences before deciding it's time to overwrite them all with what you want to run under instead. It tends to seriously screw things up.

That's a good point. I had to do this myself, but i did not think this was a big bugger that made the upgrade a "problem"

No, but having several hundred webmail accounts suddenly go belly-up was a bit of a problem. So was having the support site vanish from the web because it requires safe_mode to be off in order to display the cached skins.
Imagine what those users do when they can't get to the support forum, and have your IM as the backup support option.
I'm finding a lot of other problems on the board right now from the v8 'upgrade', which tells me that sw-soft is becoming very good at dumping untested software on its users, then looking at the dozens of bug reports before putting out a 'fix' (which should be the actual stable version that we all get).
I have several cpanel servers as well, and I've watched how they work. Now, while they are still in support of Apache 1.x, they know how to propely grade their updates. You can run stable, which is VERY likely to have no bugs, or you can run beta, or you can run one of several options in between. They never release a beta and tell us that it's a stable, so if we run the stable builds, we can expect to not have half our server go to s*** each time we hit the update button.

Of course, they also offer free spamassassin support (go figure, not charging for supporting open source software), support clamav, and a huge list of other things that sw-soft likes to charge massive change for (unlimited domains is a plus for other CP's). The only thing keeping me here right now is the support of more recent Apache builds. But that's fading...

Anyway, I'm just ranting now. Hopefully sw-soft will clue in and actually fix something about all the problems in this release (as with all the past releases). Hoping... hoping...

I can agree on some of these points but that is a whole nother discussion.

I still have no webmail to my clients.. :(

Originally posted by NightStorm
...this is something I would ahve liked to know about in advance... I would have never wasted the time with the upgrade.

Take a look in the release notes and you will see that this is mentioned.

http://www.swsoft.com/r/pdfs/plesk8_whatsnew.pdf

I don't see anything in there about having to reconfigure every domain on the server because Plesk no longer listens to php.ini, but instead take it on itself to decide how I am supposed to want the domains set. In fact, it doesn't mention safe mode or the fact that it overrides php.ini anywhere in that entire file.

Also don't see anything about having to manually run the httpd.include rebuilder in order to actually get webmail to work again.

Maybe it's my own mistake for using the "What's new in Plesk 8.0 for Linux/Unix" link on their website to know what is changed... but a php.ini override sounds like a pretty substancial "what's new" change, and could affect a lot of clients. I also notice there was no mention of either 'feature' in the email sent out announcing the release, so again... these are things they should properly include prior to telling people they should upgrade.

See that now. Helpful that it's not mentioned in the actual "Changes" that I linked to (this is a change, as far as I am concerned, as php.ini was functioning perfectly fine before Plesk overrode it). I also notice that the link they tell you to go to for further info does not work. Also, editing the vhost.conf file does SFA, as that was the first thing I tried.
Also, again... where is the mention of webmail being screwed over, and requiring the admin to SSH into the server to complete the update (when using the web panel to initiate) in the file you linked to?
If the administrator is required to go into SSH in order to fix the problems in the updates, then they should just remove the updater from the panel in the first place, and let the whole thing be done from SSH. Either that, or stop dumping Beta **** on their customers, and fix the bugs BEFORE release to public, and not a few weeks after.

I believe it's been mentioned in the past, and I'll support it. Plesk was much easier to deal with before selling out... the support was better, the product was more stable, and they weren't busy craming in a bunch of commercial trash and charging a fortune to actually use it, but focused more instead on actually creating a control panel that worked.

Back