1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

what mail servers does Expand support?

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by rspurlock, Dec 6, 2006.

1. rspurlock

rspurlock Guest

I understand that Expand uses the mail servers (on Plesk) for linux and windows but is this possible:

Once we migrate to Expand, I plan on setting up a SmarterMail Enterprise mail server on Plesk for windows to be used for the Central Mail server. Is this how it works? Can I just choose which supported mail client for Plesk windows I want and set up Expand to use it?

Any pros or cons for using Windows centralized mail versus Linux centralized mail for ALL domains?

TIA,

Rob

2. rspurlock

rspurlock Guest

Ok, so I've found the documentation so I see my question sounded silly.

The mail servers that Plesk for Windows supports are fine for Expand.

BUT in reading the docs, here's a new question.

The installation docs state that when you add a Centralized Mail server to the Expand, you need to delete all domains and accounts off the server. Is this correct? How can this be done when you add an existing (with users and all) Plesk for Windows server to the Expand group?

3. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    We recommend to use clean Plesk server as a Central Mail server. It is the most safe and troubleless configuration.

Plesk Expand will create many clients/domains accounts on a Central Mail - a kind of a partner performing mail operations only. Such partner is created for each client and domain using Central Mail. If your Central Mail server is not clean, there might be some collisions.

If you add Plesk for Unix/Linux server to Plesk Expand and the server has any existing domains - their mailboxes will be auto migrated to Central Mail server if it is Plesk for Unix/Linux also).

Unfortunately there are no capability of automatic migration of existing mailboxes to Plesk for Windows. Currently such feature is provided for Plesk for Unix/Linux only.