• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

what OS is the easiest and most secure to install Plesk on?

Go with whatever OS you are most comfortable with running. In terms of security features, CentOS4/RHEL4 would be the most robust, with its integration of SELinux.

well unfortunately the distro I'm most comfortable with is Slackware... so I guess Debian is the next best thing if I want to use Plesk. thanks for your reply.

freebsd seems to have the least problems, and if there are problems its alot easier to hack at than most other operating systems.

I find freebsd + plesk to be an excellent combination.

A confident sys admin im sure will feel the same way too.

Personally I have never never ever had a single problem on any of the RedHat 9 based servers (hundreds) which I have or have control over, unfortunately now that RH9 support is going away, I will be switching to the closest relative CentOS

Hey Shadow - get back to work before I reduce your pay!

I have to agree with him, love RH9 but so far no major problems with CentOS

What I am really curious about is: What Linux distro does SWSoft use on it's own servers??

Good to hear that, do you have your CentOS4 repo fully populated yet? Last I read was that it was underway but not complete...

I think the RPM distributions are best, seem to have little to no problems and having ART support is great (take this opportunity to say thanks scott btw) so I would say RHEL/Fedora/CentOS .. I currently use Fedora 2 and while there are no problems and you can keep security upto date using legacy etc in the future I would go between RHEL and CentOS, since I don't need to pay for support I would choose CentOS.

Im still working on the CentOS4 archive, its mostly there but I still miss things from time to time, each distro has around 200 packages in it these days, so some are bound to slip through the cracks. Theres something to be said about having all the distros I have though (currently 3es, rh9, fc2, fc3, fc4 and centos4), it keeps me exposed to all the little weird things that pop up on each one.

Back to security though, my next big project is taking over producing RPMS for the ossim project: http://www.ossim.net. This is a security information manager, which ties into syslog, snort, apache, etc. Very useful for those folks with multiple servers looking to stay on top of security events. WIP is available here: http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/atomic-testing/ossim/

Back