• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

where is migration manager ?

C

carlosho17

Hi there
I've just installed Plesk 9.0 on centos 5.2 x64 ... Migration Manager shows up as installed and up-to-date under components (Plesk updater), but I haven't been able to find it logging in as admin.
Under License Management, "Ability to use Migration Manager" is also set to On.
It's a leased version , only Plesk for linux/unix 100 domains, no add-ons, just paid and retrieved the mailed key.
I assume Migration Manager is included, but I can't find it. Any clues ?
Thanks
Carlos

Hello,

Just to support your post, Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit also has no migration manager in the interface, but it seems to be installed as a deb package. License is a leased license converted (I think) from a 8.6.x license.

New Ubuntu (i386) 8.0.4.1 install ( with updated license), has no migration manager available.
the package is installed:
dpkg -l | grep migration
ii psa-migration-manager 9.0.0-ubuntu8.04.build90081208.07 Plesk Migration Manager

anyone have a clue howto migrate from another server ?

Developers from 4PSA.com confirmed the issue and advised to wait a couple of days for Parallels to solve the issue.

When new version of plesk with migration manager will be out?

Hi,

I've just installed Plesk 9.0. The Migration Manager is avaiable in the components. Is this the new one ? Otherwise, when will the new one come ? and what migration will it support ?

Migration Manager is here: http://www.yourdomain.com:8443/server/PMM/index.php. It works up until you try to pull a client list from your old server, then it pukes. I've managed to get my clients backed up using the CLI version of the PMM (on the old server), but I can't figure out the CLI version of the restore functionality on 9.0. If anyone wants to chime in on that, we may not have to wait for Parallels to get this to us.

Just completed a successful migration from one server (Plesk 8.6.0 - CentOS 4) to a brand new server (Plesk 9.0 - CentOS 5). I'll post details in a few. It's CLI, and it's ugly, but it works. =)

Ok, before I start, this was done on a CentOS system, so if you're not using a RH-based distro, your mileage may vary. It should still work fine, but the paths might be different. Oh yeah, and I'm not responsible if this blows up your server, defrosts your fridge or tries to have sex with your cat. That being said, here we go:

Step 1:
On the old server: /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup -v clients <clientname> <backupfilename>

Step 2:
Suspend the client on the old server (this way they won't lose any data in the time it takes to move the backup file to the new server)

Step 3:
Get the backup file over to the new server. FTP, SSH, don't care.

Step 4:
Copy all the files from /usr/local/psa/admin/lib/python/*.py* to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
(yes, there's probably a better way to do it, but I'm a PHP guy, not a Python guy, and I didn't know how to make Python look at a certain directory for extra modules)

Step 5:
Run: python /usr/local/psa/admin/share/pre9_backup_convert/pre9_backup_convert.py -v convert <backupfilename>
I specify the -v flag because I like to see what the heck it's doing.

Step 6:
Once you're done with that, you'll have an XML file with a filename similar to converted_<clientname>_info_0812231938.xml. Mine was located in: <whatever_dir_you're_working_in>/<backupfilename>/clients/<clientname>ted/clients/vmartin

Step 7:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map converted_<clientname>_info_0812231938.xml -map <clientname>-map -verbose
You can use whatever you want for the map name, it doesn't matter. I chose the same as the client's name just for simplicity's sake.

Step 8:
Edit the map file, change the IP. Chances are, your IPs are different. If you've managed to get the same worldwide-accessible IP set up correctly on 2 servers at the same time, congrats - the IETF will probably want to talk to you. But since you probably didn't do that, open the map file and change the IP to the new IP. Should be relatively simple to see where to do it. If not, post, and I'll help out.

Step 9:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore converted_<clientname>_info_0812231938.xml -map <clientname>-map -level clients -verbose

Step 10:
You're going to get a number of autoresponder errors. Maybe. If you don't, cool. If you do, ignore 'em. They happen because the restore process apparently sets the status of the autoresponders automatically without checking to see if they even exist. I haven't tested this part extensively, but I think if you see '<execution-result status="success">' in the output, then you're good to go.

That's it! Check the control panel, and make sure that your new client shows up, and you should be good to go. This can be done at the server, client, or domain level. Just run any of these commands without any flags (or maybe the --help flag) to see what other options are available to you.

Oh, and before you do this, you might want to knock the DNS TTL down really low, otherwise your clients may have to wait a while until DNS propagation takes over and point 'em at the new server.

And you're going to have to change which DNS servers that the domains point to at the registrars, or advise your customers to do it, or all your hard work will have been in vain.

Please let me know what you think about this. It's a quick and dirty hack that I cobbled together because the PMM that's included (yes, you can get to it from the CP) doesn't work.

Could we have an answer from someone at SWSOFT please ? When is expected the migration Manager ?

I have a plesk 9 server I would like to migrate to another one. When I try to restore a backup from an FTP repository, I have to upload it to the new server (from the repository), but I get a "Permission denied error" message....

How can I do now ?

I have attempted to backup and restore from Plesk 8.4 to 9.0, using Spazholio info.
Every time I do the restore, it manages to restore the first domain and refuses to restore any others.

even tried the using the list.

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore converted_info_0901012039.xml -level domains -filter list:domain1.com,domain2.com -map plesk-backup

Hmm... am I missing something simple.

I am still trying to migrate from 8.4 to 9.0 without any success.

I have now tried the following word for word. http://kb.odin.com/en/5864

I now get an error as follows :- <execution-result status="error"><object name="prichards" type="client"><message code="Cannot unpack" severity="error"><text>unknown

Is there a problem with the 8.4 Backup.

Interesting. At what stage do you get this error? And, have you tried/considered upgrading from 8.4 to 8.6 prior to migrating the users?

The 8.4 box is FreeBSD, 9.0 is Centos 5
The last upgrade to the BSD machine did not go well, the Plesk upgrade left the machine inoperative. I had to pay 4psa.com to intervene and get the upgrade working. 4psa left the machine working but not in an upgradable condition.

The drop in the pound against the euro makes it very expensive to pay 4psa to do any more work, after all it should be easy to migrate. ( Plesk take note. Backup and restore should work. If it hadn't been for Plesk update mucking up my FreeBSD upgrade I wouldn't be in this position now )

PS. I have put a request to 4psa but they haven't yet replied.

Hi,

Sorry for my little rant, I am mighty miffed at this software. I have thrown time and money at it and still not got a satisfactory working system. There comes a time when its just not worth it any more..

Hmm.. best have a cup of tea before I continue.

To answer your question Spazholio :-

It seems to organise everything into the correct directories, all directories appear in /usr/lib/psa/dumps.
I can go into the panel and select clients or domains and it shows the right backup. I actually start the restore and it just comes up with an error.

I have since found this in:- /usr/local/psa/PMM/rsessions/ latest restore attempt

[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit disk_space
[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit expiration
[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit max_redir
[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit max_traffic
[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit max_webapps
[04-Jan-2009 18:09:41] Warning: Unable to get utilization type for limit mbox_quota

I'm really worried about attempting an upgrade on the FreeBSD box.

Wish Parallels would let us know where this item is - without it we just have bricks without any purpose in life!!!

Well after getting quotes for transfer of data upto 460.00 UKP I decided I would have to find a solution, I did !

Not clever but it got me one stage closer, I installed 8.6 on new server and managed to migrate the domains, there is an option in 8.6 to upgrade to 9.0.x, with a just a few minor problems all domains and emails are working again.
I'm not planning 9.0.x yet under I get this other problem below ironed out.

I'm afraid to report the migration of sitebuilder failed and its still broken, and guess what, no help forthcoming at the moment.

...just a few minor problems all domains and emails are working again.
I'm not planning 9.0.x yet under I get this other problem below ironed out.

Isn't 9.0.0.2 a bug fix release? If you are having problems with 9 it maybe wise to try the bug fix release.

Having said that, I can understand you not trusting anything from Parallels. After all the trouble I had upgrading from 8.3 to 8.6, I am definitely going to make use of LVM snapshots in future.

9.0.1 has just been released, but still no migration manager included!!!!

Back