1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

where is the freebsd based expand server?

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by usalinked, Jul 6, 2004.

1. usalinked

usalinked Guest

where is the freebsd based expand server?

2. Cranky

Cranky Guest

Expand central system can't be installed on FreeBSD, it needs a linux server. However, it can control FreeBSD Plesk servers when installed on linux.

3. usalinked

usalinked Guest

um

Thank you for pointing out the ovious.

Revised Question: When is Expand going to be release to run on Freebsd.

Right now it runs off a pay OS and a beta OS. In my personal opinion freebsd has been around a lot more then RH's beta fedora OS.

4. Cranky

Cranky Guest

Fedora's hardly beta, it supports RH9 and you can get free versions of RHEL3. I think its support for all the linux OS'es is due to it being easy to port it between them all as they're very similar in nature. If freebsd is used by fewer people than Linux it wouldn't make commercial sense to develop Expand for it. Since interest is beginning to appear for a BSD version I would expect it to be strongly considered by swsoft, and I support you even though I wouldn't have a use for it.

5. Spyder

Spyder Regular Pleskian

40%
    Please no flames, but .

I understando our point of view, but some costumers buy plesk and interact with plesk not only the "blue eyse" but for full support to Freebsd....

will plesk abandon the suport to FBSD ??

may be is time do search other tool....bot not other OS.

TIA.

6. mousehouse

mousehouse Guest

FreeBSD has a very strong presence in the hosting industry as was recently shown by Netcraft as well... the number of sites hosted on FreeBSD has been steadily increasing...

As any experienced administrator will acknowledge, the *BSD approach differs somewhat from the Redhat/Fedora approach but appeals a lot to experienced people looking for a good quality alternative to Redhat etc...

Both have advantages and sw-softs releases of Plesk for FreeBSD shows that they take it's presence seriously but somehow we need to remind them everytime that new features need to be made available to us as well!

So thanks for all the good work sw-soft, and you would make a lot of hosting companies happy by providing a full FreeBSD version of Expand as well...

7. PaulC

PaulC Regular Pleskian

57%
    I would welcome a version from FreeBSD. I would imagine its not too difficult to port it, only the binaries would need porting as the interface as usual is in PHP I would presume?

BSD used to be the developers favourite platform, until around version 5 of Plesk when they switched to preferring *nix platforms

8. mousehouse

mousehouse Guest

maybe they could disclose the source to 4psa under some sort of NDA, whereby 4psa would be allowed to do the FreeBSD port and sell it?

hahaha... maybe sw-soft just needs to run it through their QA and release it...