• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Why is the MSDE version of SQL Installed?

C

chernobl

Why is the MSDE version of SQL Server installed? We have a production SQL Server that we want to provision accounts on. Does this require the SQL support add-in? Can I remove the SQL MSDE version or will that cause something to break?

please advise,
Anthony Biondo
Biondo Communications
http://www.biondocomm.com

You need to install MS SQL prior to installing Plesk. Once you have installed MSSQL you can then install Plesk and it will not install MSDE. Also, MSDE can be upgraded by a full version of MSSQL. This is not recommended by Plesk, but I see no reason it would not work since Plesk does not use the MSDE version.

Also, to utilize any creation or deletion abilities through Plesk for MSSQL (even the MSDE version) you have to have the SQL addon.

Hi Larry:

thanks for responding. We want to have a SQL Server not on the same box as Plesk. We have a box that just does SQL and a box just for web. Is this supported with the MSSQL support. when I talked to the sales reps at Plesk that made it sound like a no brainer.

thanks for your help,
Anthony

Not sure if you have got a reply from anyone else. We installed Plesk and found it had installed MSDE without us knowing. I have successfully upgrade this to SQL Server standard edition with very few problems.

The MSSQL addon only seems to allow management of a local MS SQL at this time. It also does not do much more (that I can figure out) than create a database and users for that database.

If you want to use a seperate MS SQL server, then it will not control it at all. You do not need the MS SQL add-on, you can just use the ODBC manager to create ODBC connections out to your MS SQL server, probably manually.

I am hoping that Plesk 7 for Windows will give us some more useful features for MS SQL.

You can't manage an external SQL server with Plesk, I don't even think this is an option.

You can setup ODBC for an external SQL Server

anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of MSSQL server to work with Plesk?

you can search on ebay..I got a 5cal std edition for $50

Just an update. I was just looking at our beta of Plesk 7 for Windows. It allows the selection from Localhost to a different location. Not sure if it will work as I can't test it right this minute (maybe a bug in beta), but the option is there. :)

Can anyone share some experiences on the Upgrade process from MSDE to MS SQL Server 2000.

How is it done? any problems or issues?

-Andres Tinoco

HI,

On 6.5 the upgrade process is actually quite smooth from MSDE to MS SQL server. Just copy the SQL install files across and run the install. It will actually bring all the settings across from MSDE into MS SQL. You may need to know the sa password for MSDE, (can't remember if you do) If you have the SQL plugin for Plesk you can just reset it before the upgrade if you wish.

Make SURE you put Service Pack 3a on as soon as you have done the upgrade, or you may leave yourself open to abuse.

The only problems we have had (and this is on a production server), is that you can't get Enterprise Manager working correctly locally. We have found this to be a general issue relating to MSDE upgrades, not just those relating to Plesk.

Hope these thoughts help

TY for the quick reply. I will begin tests on a local test server soon.

Are you able to use Enterprise Manager Remotely? Can the plesk MS SQL addon be activated after the MS SQL Server install?

Thanks again.

-Andres

Just did an upgrade on a clean test server from MSDE to SQL server Standard, everything seems ok, but i got an error at the end of the upgrade, it said "Error cleaning up Desktop Engine Installation, refer to setup logs for addtional detail" then the setup seems to complete with success..

what does this mean? should i worry about it?

Thanks in Advance

Andres.

I would think that would be fine. Obviously I am sure you know that MSDE, stands for Microsoft Desktop Engine, so all it is saying is it could not clean up a few of those files.

I think I may have had the same error as you, but our production server is running fine after the upgrade

Back